BASE: Miscues cost Colonels in game one of the MAC Freedom playoffs

Colonels Joe Champi playing 3rd Base

Colonels Joe Champi playing 3rd Base

Kirsten Peters

Kirsten Peters

Colonels Joe Champi playing 3rd Base

Benjamin Mandell, Co-Sports editor

READING, Pa—The Wilkes University Colonels got a loud wake-up call in game one of the MAC Freedom tournament, losing 16-3 to Misericordia.

The Colonels were blanked for the most part by Drake Koch, who went 8 innings, allowed just 4 hits, 2 walks, and a hit batter. Koch also struck out 7 in his 8 innings of work, letting 3 runs come across, 2 earned.

Matt Amaral was on the bump for the Colonels and his night did not last as long as he had hoped. Amaral went just 3 innings, allowing 9 runs, 8 earned, on 8 hits, 3 walks, and 2 hit batters.

It was all around a day to forget for the Colonels as they failed to get anything going. They started the game going down one, two, three in the top of the first, and followed with some bad bounces not going their way in the bottom half of the inning. Four runs came across for Misericordia, but their big inning was in the fourth. The Cougars capitalized off of 3 Colonel errors, resulting in 7 runs.

The Colonels will look to turn the page on Saturday as the look to stay alive in the tournament against cross town rival King’s College.

The game against King’s is scheduled to start at 3:00 p.m. and will be broadcasted on 90.7 WCLH.

Kirsten Peters, Co-Sports Editor

Kirsten Peters is a sophomore communication studies major with concentrations in multimedia journalism and broadcast production.

Peters joined The Beacon...