A sassy trailer park community visits Wilkes

A dysfunctional trailer park community, with all its hoot and howls, will soon be taking up home on the stage of the Dorothy Dickson Center.

The Wilkes Department of Visual and Performing Arts presents “The Great American Trailer Park Musical.”

The musical will be showing on Feb. 13, 14, 20 and 21 at 8 P.M. and Feb. 15 and 22 at 2 P.M. at the Dorothy Dickson Darte Center for the Performing Arts.

The musical is said to have a cheeky script with an infectious score that the audience will laugh out the door.

“Watching all the hard work and effort that everyone in our department puts into each show is amazing,” Simone Hanna, senior theatre arts major said. “We as a collective group have learned from each other, and when I graduate I will take what we have accomplished and apply it to my future endeavors.”

The musical sets the stage as a trailer park in  Florida named Armadillo Acres. Together for twenty years, a couple’s relationship is threatened by the new neighbor of the community, a stripper named Pippi. An adulterous affair happens between Pippi and the husband, Norbert.

Apart from strippers and adultery, Armadillo Acres also houses murderous ex-boyfriends, Cotsco and the Ice Capades.

The performance is based off the book by Betsy Kelso. The musical is directed by Jon Liebetrau accompanied with musical direction by Ken McGraw and choreography by Sean Harris.

Students and faculty can watch the performance for free with their Wilkes I.D. Students without an I.D. will be charged $5, and adults without an I.D. will be charged $10.

Nicole Zukowski
Nicole Zukowski, Life, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Nicole Zukowski is a junior Communication Studies major with concentrations in journalism, public relations and rhetoric. Nicole, a Dean’s List student, is also studying in three minors: History, Marketing, and Women’s and Gender Studies.

Nicole has been on the Beacon staff since her first semester at Wilkes. She has held various positions on The Beacon such as Assistant News Editor, News Editor, and now she is currently the Life, Arts and Entertainment Editor.

Apart from The Beacon, Nicole spends her time as Co-Editor of the Medium, the Department of Communication Studies newsletter and as Co-Office Manager for Zebra Communications, the student-run public relations agency on the Wilkes University campus and is a member of the Public Relations Society of America.