Sigma Tau Delta celebrates Banned Books Week

In every high school, college, municipality, or any corner of the world there is a list of books that are banned for whatever reason.

From 11 am.m to 1 p.m. on Oct.2 and 4 in the lounge room of the SUB the Wilkes Chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, an English Honor Society, read some of these texts to promote banned books week. Sigma Tau Delta also had a bake sale both days during the event. Profits from the bake sale went to purchasing books for underprivileged children.

This marks the 30th anniversary of the celebration and they will also be holding their 2nd annual “Virtual Read Out.” Students are able to enter videos reading banned books and promoting the event.

Students from the Sigma Tau Delta read banned books that included, “Canterbury Tales,” “The Scarlet Letter,” the Harry Potter series and even “The Perks of Being a Wallflower,” along with many others.

“It’s a really cool thing to raise awareness to. I didn’t know half of these books were banned. I didn’t really know they even still banned books” said junior Jess Winters.

According to the official website of the event, Banned Books Week is meant to represent “the national book community’s annual celebration of the freedom to read.”

Banned Books Weeks was started in 1982 to fight back from the number of books that were being banned in schools. The American Booksellers and the American Library Association, along with many other organizations, sponsor the event during the last week in September. Also, the Library of Congress has jumped aboard in support of the event.

According to the American Library Association website, “The books featured during Banned Books Week have all been targeted with removal or restrictions in libraries and schools. While books have been and continue to be banned, part of the Banned Books Week celebration is the fact that, in a majority of cases, the books have remained available. This happens only thanks to the efforts of librarians, teachers, students, and community members who stand up and speak out for the freedom to read.”

Many of the books on the banned books list are books that many would be surprised to hear about, books include, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Hunger Games, and Cat in the Hat.

Shawn Carey, Contributing Writer