Unimportant Questions with Important People: Jessica Short, Programming Board President

Year: Junior

Major: Elementary Education

Hometown: Forest City, Pa.

Programming Board president Jessica Short is a familiar face to many on campus. Short has been the driving force behind many entertainment activities on campus including the upcoming Mac Miller concert at 8 p.m. on May 1 at the F.M Kirby Center. Short’s responsibilities this year as president have been mostly to get ideas out of students and think of what the school wants.

What are some upcoming Programming Board events?

Tuesday April 24 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. we’re having street signs and a fortune teller come in. Like the ones that say so-and-so street and so-and-so boulevard, like I have one that says Cheerleader Boulevard. The next day on April 25 we’re having black light mini-golf, which is regular mini-golf but all the lights will be out and there will be a black light and all the glowing stuff. We’re actually doing it partly with Relay for Life and we’re doing a bake sale at it for Relay for Life. Then that Thursday, April 26, we’re having an ice cream social at 8 p.m. in the SUB lounge, and of course the concert.

Favorite hobbies?

My favorite hobbies are definitely cheerleading, dance and baton; definitely a girly-girl.

If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?

I’ve been to the Caribbean a lot so my big interest is going over to Europe, like Italy. I come from an Italian family so I’d really like to go visit the Mediterranean.

What is in your refrigerator (favorite food)?

Pickles. My roommates always laugh at me cause there’s always pickles no matter what. Our fridge might be bare but there are always pickles.

Favorite TV show or movie?

TV show-wise I watch a lot of the stuff people hate like the “Teen Mom” and all that. Movie-wise, one of my favorite movies that’s kind of recent is “Friends with Benefits.”

What plans do you have for after graduation?

I really want to go to Korea to teach English, or I want to do the Teach for America program, where you put you in a bad school district, so I’m hoping for somewhere south like Texas, or my third back-up plan is going to graduate school for student development and doing something like Jamie (Miller) and Missy (Howells), and Programming Board actually led me to that kind of job.

What is an interesting fact about yourself?

I love pink and my whole bedroom at school is pink. My landlord actually painted my walls pink for me.

What is on your iPod now?

It’s kind of a really big mix. I like anything from any genre; I have ’80s music, I have ’90s music, I have rap, I have hip-hop, I have rock, pop. A lot of times (my friends and I) will go through and have a lot of wild ’90s times just sitting there and listening to Britney Spears and the Spice Girls.

Favorite Wilkes memory?

Probably when we went to the Programming Board conference. I’ve actually gone twice but there’s a small group of us with our advisoes (that go) and we all got to know each other really well and it’s kind of fun because we got to see different bands and comedians, just stuff that would be able to come next year. This year there was a Bowling for Soup concert at it and you could feel the floor shaking cause everyone was dancing.

What do you hope Programming Board will do in the future?

I just really hope they keep building up like we have been, keep growing with the Thursday night events, get better attendance at them, better advertising out, increasing membership. This year was really awesome, we had a great group of people, but I’d just love to see them keep expanding it and have more events, keeping up what we’ve been doing.

Christine Lee, Life Editor
Senior News Editor Christine Lee is a senior communication studies major with concentrations in journalism, broadcast media and rhetoric and minors in history and political science. She brings three and a half years of experience writing for The Beacon, having served as Life Editor from January 2011 (spring semester of her freshman year) to April 2012 (her sophomore year) and a staff writer from September-December 2010 (fall of her freshman year). She became news editor in fall 2012 and as a graduating senior, she serves as a writer and mentor to incoming Beacon staff. Christine carries a passion for all things news and current events and looks forward to covering major events on campus. She fully believes in respect for each person being interviewed, as she believes they have a story to tell her and she is recording it in print or on-air. A Dean's List student, she hails from the small town of Bloomsbury, N.J., and in addition to her role as News editor, she is an on-air reporter for "Wilkes Now," the student-produced television program filmed on campus, sings with the University Chorus and a local church choir, is an E-mentor for first-year students and is involved in a number of other little activities on campus. She is a student member of the Society of Professional Journalists-Wilkes Chapter.