Getting to Know: Ashley Eden

unknown
Freshman softball player Ashley Eden

Meet Ashley Eden, a freshman pitcher and outfielder for the softball team here at Wilkes. Eden is from Fogelsville, Pa., where she attended Northwestern Lehigh High School. She will be majoring in Pharmacy and is looking forward to her time at Wilkes.

How long have you been playing softball?

I have been playing softball since I was 10 years old. At first, I actually started playing baseball, and then my dad forced me to switch over to softball, and I am very glad I did. I have been playing travel league, tournament softball, high school softball and now college softball.

Why did you choose Wilkes?

I chose Wilkes because I feel like I belong here. I love that it is a small school and that I’m more than just a number. I also like that I know my professors and classmates and I am able to be more than a student here. I can be on the softball team and Pre-Pharmacy Club. It is easy to get involved.

Have there been any influences on your life to play softball?

Yes, my pitching coach, Ed DeLucia. He used to coach at Muhlenberg college and has been a big influence on me as over the years there has been a lot of adversity. I had a pretty serious injury that almost ended my career but he was always there helping me to get better and improve while encouraging me to go out there and just enjoy the game. Another influence on me has also been my dad; he has been one of my biggest supporters. He has always been in the backyard catching me over the years for pitching practice.

What has been your most memorable softball game?

The most memorable softball game I played was the first time I got back out on the mound after a very serious head injury I encountered. Even though we lost the game, it was a true win to just be back out there and have my teammates behind me to be playing the game I love. It just felt so empowering to be back out there again.

How did you injure your head?

I unfortunately got hit in the eye with a line drive during a game. I was out for awhile and I broke several bones and I temporarily lost sight in my right eye. It was a long recovery process, but I guess everyone goes through their struggles, and that was just mine. It was just something I had to overcome.

What have been your major accomplishments playing softball?

Overall, the biggest accomplishment is just that I have learned so much more than just softball by playing the game. I learned that I really need to have a strong worth ethic and I have also made some great friendships over the year. I have also learned a lot of life lessons outside of the game itself.

What are you looking forward to here the most during your time as a softball player here at Wilkes?

I am really looking forward to traveling with my teammates, hoping to get some wins and to just enjoy my time out there playing. It is a big accomplishment to just be playing in college and hopefully we can pull together some wins and make the playoffs.

Brandon Gubitosa
Brandon Gubitosa, Sports Editor
Brandon Gubitosa is a sophomore Business Management major and is currently the Sports Editor of The Beacon. After taking over midway through the second semester as Sports Editor, saving the sports section Brandon is back.
Brandon is a native of Stony Point, New York which is thirty minutes away from New York City. Sports have always been his passion since he was younger and can always be found attending an sporting event. He is a die hard Jets and Mets fan and is still waiting for one of them to win a championship.
At home he writes for his local paper and works as a cart boy at Patriot Hills Golf Club. After he graduates from Wilkes, Brandon hopes to be working for a professional sports team. When he is not working at home, he can be found playing with his dog; Cole who can always put a smile on his face