“Relay for Heat” to help families in need

During this rough winter, there are many families in the community that cannot afford to pay their heating bills. As one can imagine, that situation would be something unbearable to deal with, especially as costs rise year to year.

In an attempt to reach out and help the locals, the Wilkes University Running Club will host Relay for Heat to raise money to help the Commission for Economic Opportunity will assist local families who are in serious need of assistance.

Last year, Relay for Heat and the running club helped raise over $2,500 in donations, just by collections around campus and the nearby community.

Advisor of the Wilkes University running club, William Terzaghi, understands the impact of the community coming together for a good cause.

“For many of us, participation in the Relay for Heat provides an incentive to keep fit over the winter, and perhaps to burn off some of the pounds put on over the holidays,” Terzaghi said. “The Relay has evolved into a real community event, with a number of alumni coming back to run in it, and many members of the community also participate. I think this is because everyone realizes that it is a worthy cause that really helps out local families who are struggling to pay their heating bills.”

The 9th annual 100-mile relay will take place on Saturday, Feb. 9 on the dikes in Kingston starting at 6 a.m. Each participant will run a four-mile leg on the dikes until the group has covered 100 miles total. Participants will primarily be Wilkes University students, faculty, staff and alumni, along with other members of the community who have expressed an interest in helping.

Individuals can support the event by pledging a certain amount per mile covered or by pledging a fixed amount. All money raised will go to the Martin Luther King Fuel Fund.

Frank Passalacqua
Frank Passalacqua, Opinion Editor
In his third year on The Beacon, Frank switches it up after the previous two years as Sports Editor. Now the Opinion Editor, Frank uses his journalism and public relations track to the newspaper staff. Frank is a senior communication studies major with a minor in art, and is involved in many other co-curriculars on campus. Out of the classroom, Frank owns a YouTube channel “randomfrankp” that provides user created video content for over 3 million viewers and his near 15,000 subscribers.