Lady Colonels continue to impress

The women’s lacrosse team has made quite a comeback this year from previous years.

The change came mostly with the dynamic of the team.

There were always low numbers before mixed with a lot of negativity, which turned around with the new members who were recruited by the coaches.

“This year has been a great improvement over last year,” says freshman Sarah Brozena.

Another aspect that could account for the change of pace with the team is the fact that they worked out during the winter and developed better team bonding. There was always 110 percent effort from everyone.

“I think we work really well. We may not be the best and amazing, but we get things done when we have to,” says freshman Carley Smith.

Senior players include Captain Caitlin Jordon, , Cassie Cronin, Lindsey Davenport and Kate McGurk.  Juniors are Jackie Harrison and Brittaney Costigan. Sophomores are Gabby Ford, Keri Meerholz, Samantha Pavalko and Olivia Dworak and Freshman players are Sarah Brozena, Elizabeth Bracco and Carley Smith.

The coaching staff includes the Head Coach Kammie Towey and Assistant Coach Danielle Hawkins.

The team seems to be one big family with inside jokes and a great coaching staff who cares about their academics and tries to make them the best that they can be both on and off the field.

“We have a good bunch of girls that play with their heart,” says Jordan. “Heart is the key to our success.”

The Lady Colonels currently sit at 6-2, with a record of 0-2 in conference play.

Gabby Ford leads the team with 32 goals on the season, while Smith has netted 29 goals.

The Colonels have four players who have scored double-digit goals.

Wilkes has outscored its opponent 124-81 en route to having a winning record. The Colonels also own a record of 4-1 on the road.

The goalkeeper is the last line of defense for a lacrosse team, and Wilkes has two very capable goalies.

Cronin owns a 9.34 goals agaiant average, while sophomore Justine Thimmel has a .410 save percentage.

Teamwork runs rampant through the Colonels squad as Keri Meeholz leads the team with 15 assists.

Wilkes has forced 74 caused turnovers with Smith leading the way.

Wilkes suffered its second loss on the season, as the Colonels lost to Arcadia this past Saturday.

Arcadia scored 15 goals in the first half, jumping out to a huge lead.

Ford took 10 shots and scored on five, but her charge was not enough as Arcadia scored the game’s first three goals.

Wilkes would go into the halftime break down 15-6.

The Colonels came out hot in the second half netting six goals, but Arcadia would respond with seven more scores.

Wilkes fell to Arcadia 22-12, with Thimmel and Cronin splitting time in goal.

The Lady Colonels return to action at 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday April 17 at Schmidt Stadium.

The Colonels will take on crosstown rival Misericordia University.

The Cougars are  4-9 on the season.

The Cougars are coming off a loss to conference opponent Manhattanville. Misericordia surrendered 23 goals in the loss.

The Colonels will look to improve their 3-14 record from 2011 as the Cougars travel to Wilkes.

Alyssa Stencavage
Alyssa Stencavage, L&A&E Editor
Alyssa Stencavage is a junior communications studies major at Wilkes University with concentrations in broadcast media and public relations, as well as a minor in marketing. She began her time at The Beacon as a freshman in 2011, when she worked as a staff writer and became the assistant life editor at the start of her sophomore year. She currently is campus life editor. During her sophomore year, she participated in an independent study with the Times Leader, and was also involved with an account team on the Zebra Communication Board during her junior year. She also works with the Wilkes television station, Wilkes Now. Before coming to Wilkes, she wrote for her high school newspaper, while also playing volleyball and running track. Outside of school, Alyssa works as a cashier at a local grocery store and is the oldest of three children. She enjoys listening to music, taking walks and spending time with family and friends. Alyssa believes her experience with The Beacon has improved her as a writer and will help her achieve success beyond her years at Wilkes. In the future, she would like to be an anchor at a local television station.