Getting to know…Steven Wilson

Meet Steven Wilson, a freshman tennis player from the Bronx. Wilson currently owns the No. 1 singles spot for the Colonels. Wilson loves beef patties and has crush on Meagan Good. Watch out for Wilson once he puts on his high Nike socks on, he will backhand his way through the MAC. 

Year: Freshman

Major: Accounting

Hometown: Bronx, NY.

When did you know tennis was your sport? It was the first day I picked up a racquet when I was 8 years old. My parents and coaches realized a lot of potential in me. I stuck with it and it was the best decision I have made in my life so far.

Was it always a dream to play tennis in college? Yes it was because I always enjoyed the college atmosphere of people cheering me on and also cheering teammates on. It was like a competition to see which team could out do the other.

Why did you pick Wilkes over other schools to play tennis? I liked what the school had to offer, and I saw it as a great place to take my tennis. The school had already won four consecutive championships coming into my freshman year and I wanted to help make it five.

Any specific way your approach your tennis matches? I play with no fear. That is my most important mindset going into any match because in the past I used to let that aspect get the best of me, and it held me back from being the best player I could be.

Any superstitions before you play? I have to wear Nike socks. I need a shock absorber and the grip I’m using must have been previously used a little.

What piece of tennis gear can you not play without? I watch plenty of Roger Federer videos as motivation.

What are your goals for your tennis career? Bring another four consecutive championships to Wilkes, and where my game takes me from there I will pursue it.

What awards or accomplishments are you proud from in high school? I had a 40-1 singles record, was a two-time MVP for the team and won the school’s first championship on my final attempt during senior year.

Being from New York, you have to have a favorite New York food … What is it? Cinnamon Bread. It is not what you think it is though. It is from a Jamaican restaurant not too from my house.

Any pre-match meals or drinks you like to have? Beef patties and Gatorade.

Did you play any other sports in high school? Did you consider them to play after high school? I did not play any other sports for the school besides tennis. Although I was encouraged to run track and play basketball by my peers, I was to devoted to tennis.

Who is your celebrity crush? Meagan Good

Who is your favorite athlete? Roger Federer and Lebron James … it’s a tie

Who is your favorite team? Miami Heat

What is your favorite saying? “It’s just ridiculous!”

Favorite food? Ackie and Saltfish

Favorite movie? Training Day

If you could have one superpower, what would it be and why? Super speed. I would be the greatest tennis player ever.

If your life was made into a movie who would play you? What about your love interest?

Kevin Hart would definitely play me. Jessica Biel would be my love interest.

Justin Franiak, Sports Editor
Sports Editor Spring 2012 office hours: Thursday 2:30 to 4 p.m.