Wilkes wrestling beats King’s on senior night

At the end of each respective sports season comes a week of rivalries, and Wilkes is no different. On Friday night King’s College traveled a few blocks down the street to take on the Colonels grapplers.

The match began with honoring Wilkes’s six senior wrestlers. Captain Anthony Dattolo, Ben Marich and Ryan Wilson were all honored along with Matt Ellery, Buddy Gouger, and Shane Everett.

After all the beginning festivities, the team honored their seniors by winning big.

Freshman Michael Fleck began the night off with a technical fall of King’s Aaron Perez. Fleck is now three wins away from tying the single-season win record at Wilkes.

Sophomore 133-pounder Myzar Mendoza didn’t disapoint either. Coming out to the crowd favorite “Zombie Nation” song, Mendoza tacked on three more points for the Colonels en route to a 19-6 major decision over Travis Boardman.

The first senior wrestler of the night was 141-pounder Ryan Wilson. Wilson stepped onto the mat while “Wild Thing” played in the background. Wilson ended his regular season with a pinfall in 4:40.

At 149-pounds, Wilkes suffered it’s first loss of the night as freshman John Lynch lost a close one 3-1 to King’s Chris Mazzochi.

The Colonels then received a forfeit at 157-pounds, and senior Matt Ellery recorded that win.

Junior Nathan White continued the Colonels success with an 11-2 score over King’s Ahmed Burton.

Junior Dustin Stough took on King’s Shane stark at 174-pounds and used his riding time point to gain the victory. The score was 28-3 after this close match.

Senior Buddy Gouger lost to nationally ranked Mike Reilly in the 184-pound match-up. Reilly is a returning All-American.

Sophomore Dave Oberrender gained Wilkes’ last win of the night as he beat King’s Cemah Tudae-Torboh.

Sophomore Jon Slack rounded out the night by losing by pinfall to King’s Junior Peter Dwyer.

The Colonels won big 32-14

Justin Franiak, Sports Editor
Sports Editor Spring 2012 office hours: Thursday 2:30 to 4 p.m.