After successful legislation, it is clear America needed Biden

Becoming president of a divided nation during a pandemic and economic crisis is a difficult feat. Even through these challenges, Joe Biden has managed to pass pivotal legislation and restore America’s image across the globe.

During his campaign, Biden promised COVID-19 relief, environmental protections, and student loan forgiveness. He is not even halfway through his first term, yet he has delivered on all counts.

Not even two months into presidency, Biden signed the American Rescue Plan (ARP) into law. This piece of legislation helped distribute over 500 million COVID-19 vaccines and delivered financial relief to millions, most notably through the expanded child tax credit. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, expansions to the child tax credit contributed to a 46 percent decline in child poverty—the steepest one-year decrease in American history.

Last month, Biden passed the Inflation Reduction Act that will lower healthcare costs, combat the climate crisis, and reduce the deficit. Under this act, insulin costs will be capped at $35 for Medicare beneficiaries, and 3 million more Americans will now have health insurance, according to a White House briefing.

Because of this legislation, homes, businesses, and communities will be powered by an additional 950 million solar panels, 120,000 wind turbines, and 2,300 grid-scale battery plants by 2030. Additionally, new measures are expected to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by about 1 gigaton—10 times more climate impact than any other piece of legislation, according to the White House.

In addition to the Inflation Reduction Act, Joe Biden also announced his plan to cancel student loan debt last month. According to the U.S. Department of Education, students who received Pell grants will be eligible for $20,000 in debt forgiveness. Millions of others will receive up to $10,000 in debt cancellation if their income is less than $125,000.

Biden is not only creating major changes in the U.S., but he also restored America’s image globally. According to Pew Research Center, only 34 percent across the nations surveyed had a favorable opinion of the U.S. during Donald Trump’s presidency, but now 62 percent of those surveyed feel this way. Biden is also viewed as well-qualified, while Trump was viewed as dangerous and arrogant globally as stated in the same survey.

Many reduce Biden down to his relatively low approval rating, which is 42.3 percent as of Sept.15. However, one may argue that this rating is due to the new political climate since the Trump administration.

According to Pew Research Center, poll data shows that Americans are more politically and personally divided than ever, cannot agree on “basic facts,” and have concerns about the future of democracy. Many may not trust Biden due to this developed distrust in the media, the government, and the other party. It is clear to see how Biden, a stereotypical establishment politician, may struggle to win public trust in this anti-establishment climate.

Even though many fail to see what good Biden has done for the country, he promises—as stated in his victory speech—that he “will work with all (his) heart to win the confidence of the whole people.” I believe he has what it takes to do so.

Sydney Allabaugh
Sydney Allabaugh, Opinion Editor
Sydney Allabaugh is the opinion editor of The Beacon. Allabaugh got her start with The Beacon as a contributing writer in the fall of 2021, became the opinion staff writer in the fall of 2022, worked as the assistant opinion editor in the spring of 2023, and was promoted to her current role in the fall of 2023. Allabaugh will be graduating in May of 2025 with a major in Communication Studies with concentrations in Media Production and Strategic Communication, as well as a minor in Women's and Gender Studies. Outside of The Beacon, Allabaugh is the director of Wilkes Now!, Wilkes' student-run television program. She joined Wilkes Now! in the fall of 2021, became a production assistant in the fall of 2022, and began directing in the fall of 2023.  Allabaugh is striving to work in television or public relations in her future.