College Cuisine: Cheesecake baked apples

Ingredients:

6 medium apples

8 ounces cream cheese

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 tsp vanilla extract

1 egg

3/4 tbsp cinnamon or apple pie spice

1/4 cup chopped apples

Caramel for drizzle

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Cut the top off each apple. Using a spoon, carefully scoop out the insides of the apples until you’re left with about a one-half to three-quarters-inch thick shell. Keep apple insides. Place apples in a greased baking dish.

3. To prepare the filling, beat the cream cheese, brown sugar, vanilla and egg together with a handheld mixer until creamy. Add in cinnamon and apples, stir to combine.

4. Carefully fill each apple about two-thirds of the way full with cheesecake filling. Bake apples for about 25 minutes, or until insides are almost set and apples are beginning to soften.

5. Place in the fridge to chill for at least three hours. One chilled, serve with caramel and enjoy.

Tip: Use already-made caramel from the store instead of making your own to cut down on a ton of time and effort.

Ashley Evert
Ashley Evert, Managing Editor
Ashley Evert is a senior Communications Studies major studying dual concentrations in journalism and public relations. She is also studying three minors: English, Integrative Media, and Women's and Gender Studies. Ashley has written a beauty column for The Beacon since her freshman year and moved her way from staff writer to L&A&E assistant editor to her current position as Managing Editor.
The Beacon has given her a chance to dabble in other types of writing such as an alternative sports column and college cuisine column.
Ashley hopes to use her organizational and interpersonal skills to recruit new members who will grow, strengthen and diversify The Beacon.