Back in the day…National Nut Day: Oct. 22

Things are bound to get “nutty” on Oct. 22, it’s National Nut Day! Although National Nut Day has existed in the Unites States for quite some time, the UK is starting to get nuts too!

The UK version of National Nut Day was created by Liberation Foods Company as a way to encourage healthy eating habits and promote Fairtrade nuts. Fairtrade nuts helps small farmers and individuals who gather nuts. This event began in the UK in 2010, and continues to stir excitement around. The House of Commons actually wanted to push forth a notion to swap meats for nuts for the day. The day just isn’t a quirky holiday either; Liberation Foods actually goes nuts for it by sponsoring a recipe contest where individuals send in their most nutty dishes and the winner receives Fairtrade goods and their recipe published for all to see.

So, on Oct. 22, let loose, and get nutty!

Sarah Bedford
Sarah Bedford, Editor-in-Chief
Sarah Bedford is a senior Communications Studies and Political Science double major, working towards concentrations in journalism, public relations and rhetoric.
Sarah has been on the Beacon staff since her freshman year, acting as the Assistant News Editor the fall of 2014, the News Editor during her junior year and currently as the paper's Editor-in-Chief.
Along with her Beacon involvement, Sarah is also the President of the Commuter Council, Co-chair of Wilkes College Republicans and an E-Mentor the summer and fall of 2014 as well as a member of the Pi Sigma Alpha Political Science Honor Society and Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society.
Sarah uses journalism as an outlet to combine her love of politics and writing while delivering news to the campus community.