Oct. 8, 1971: Imagine

“Imagine all the people, living life in peace…” We all know the song and the man behind the words but did you know that on Oct. 8th, 1971 John Lennon released this inspiring tune? Known as one of his best solo songs, Imagine struck a chord of hope in listeners. According to Lennon, the song “is anti-religious, anti-nationalistic, anti-conventional, anti-capitalistic… but because it is sugar-coated, it is accepted.” Later Lennon admitted that the song was co-written by his wife, Yoko Ono, but he wasn’t “man enough” to give her credit for the piece. After his assassination in 1980, Imagine took on a whole new message to Beatles fans and music lovers everywhere.

Sarah Bedford
Sarah Bedford, Editor-in-Chief
Sarah Bedford is a senior Communications Studies and Political Science double major, working towards concentrations in journalism, public relations and rhetoric.
Sarah has been on the Beacon staff since her freshman year, acting as the Assistant News Editor the fall of 2014, the News Editor during her junior year and currently as the paper's Editor-in-Chief.
Along with her Beacon involvement, Sarah is also the President of the Commuter Council, Co-chair of Wilkes College Republicans and an E-Mentor the summer and fall of 2014 as well as a member of the Pi Sigma Alpha Political Science Honor Society and Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society.
Sarah uses journalism as an outlet to combine her love of politics and writing while delivering news to the campus community.