Wilkes University to hold casino night for alumni

Wilkes University will hold Casino Night for alumni attending Homecoming from 6-9 p.m. on Oct. 5 in the Student Center Ballroom.

Alumni can play blackjack, roulette, wheel of chance and poker. There will also be a DJ to provide entertainment, as well as a photo booth so alumni can capture memories from the night.

“People will be playing for prizes just like the student casino night,” Associate Director for the Office of Alumni Relations Mary Simmons said. “All of our prizes have been donated from local organizations and businesses such as Dunkin Donuts, Frank’s Pizza, Ochman’s Coins and Jewelry and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton RailRiders, just to name a few.”

Most of the prizes are gift cards or gift certificates, but there are a few surprises.

The Alumni Office is expecting more than 50 people to attend.

“We wanted to bring this student tradition to Homecoming for alumni because many graduates have fond memories of this annual event when they were students,” Simmons said. “It was suggested by a graduate of the class of 2007, and we loved the idea of it.”

The dealers for Casino Night will be volunteers from the Homecoming student team and Student Government. Each dealer will have a Homecoming 2013 vintage baseball inspired T-shirt to wear to the event.

The event is not only exclusive to alumni of the university.

“We wouldn’t turn anyone away from the Wilkes community if they wanted to pre-register for the event and pay the $20,” Simmons said. “The cost of the event gets you some starting chips to play with, food and drinks.”

Anyone interested in attending the event can preregister at www.wilkes.edu/homecoming or call the alumni office at 570-408-7787.

Ashley Evert
Ashley Evert, Managing Editor
Ashley Evert is a senior Communications Studies major studying dual concentrations in journalism and public relations. She is also studying three minors: English, Integrative Media, and Women's and Gender Studies. Ashley has written a beauty column for The Beacon since her freshman year and moved her way from staff writer to L&A&E assistant editor to her current position as Managing Editor.
The Beacon has given her a chance to dabble in other types of writing such as an alternative sports column and college cuisine column.
Ashley hopes to use her organizational and interpersonal skills to recruit new members who will grow, strengthen and diversify The Beacon.