Unimportant Questions with Important People: Nicholas Wierman, Off Campus Council President

Nicholas Wierman

Year: Junior

Major: Earth and Environmental Science

Hometown: Middletown, Pa.

Duties: Representing the student population that resides off campus, and serving on traffic council, student affairs committees and disciplinary committees. Main events of Off Campus Council include being a part Fall Fest, Wing Wars, March Madness Bracket and Block Party. Some OCC’s goals are to serve students off campus where they’re living and get their opinion on where they live by a survey and to get a website running by the end of next year of reviews of off-campus residencies and landlords to help students find a perfect place to live off campus.

What are some upcoming OCC events?

Right now we have March Madness brackets going on. It’s not more than a week, until the tournament is over and we give out prizes to whoever has the best bracket, kind of random chance thing. Block party is April 21, right now we’re in the process of closing off South Street because normally Block Party is held on the greenway but due to the construction of the science building it is being held on the remaining part of the greenway and South Street. This year’s theme is a carnival theme so there’s lots of carnival games that will be happening as well as carnival food and entertainment.

What are some of your hobbies?

I really like bicycles so anything with bicycles. I like mountain biking, road cycling, building bicycles, fixing bicycles. That really stems from a family thing, my family does a lot of that.

What is in your fridge?

Indian food, I really like Indian food.

If you had a superpower, what would it be?

If I could choose a superpower I would say reading minds.

What are some of your plans after graduation?

I have a couple of options but nothing set in stone. I thought about joining the military after college actually or getting a job in computer science, geographic information systems aspect or working for an environmental protection agency whether that be the Environmental Protection Agency or a local community organization. But nothing set in stone.

What is a secret talent of yours?

I’m really good at origami. Particularly unit origami, where instead of folding one piece of paper into an object you fold a bunch of pieces of paper and make a bigger object. I haven’t done it in a while but in high school I made a tower that was about 4ft. tall.

Favorite TV shows or movies

I really like “The Daily Show,” that’s the only show I watch consistently, that and “Archer.” I just saw “The Hunger Games.” That was a book I read a long time ago and I loved it.

Best place you have ever been to?

The Dominican Republic (For Alternative Spring Break)

If you were an animal, what would you be and why?

I would be a giraffe. Giraffes are awesome and really tall.

What do you hope for the future of OCC?

I want to keep it going for years after I leave, establish a good OCC that will continue to be running for years after I leave cause I know in the past it’s fallen out before and gone defunct.

Christine Lee, Life Editor
Senior News Editor Christine Lee is a senior communication studies major with concentrations in journalism, broadcast media and rhetoric and minors in history and political science. She brings three and a half years of experience writing for The Beacon, having served as Life Editor from January 2011 (spring semester of her freshman year) to April 2012 (her sophomore year) and a staff writer from September-December 2010 (fall of her freshman year). She became news editor in fall 2012 and as a graduating senior, she serves as a writer and mentor to incoming Beacon staff. Christine carries a passion for all things news and current events and looks forward to covering major events on campus. She fully believes in respect for each person being interviewed, as she believes they have a story to tell her and she is recording it in print or on-air. A Dean's List student, she hails from the small town of Bloomsbury, N.J., and in addition to her role as News editor, she is an on-air reporter for "Wilkes Now," the student-produced television program filmed on campus, sings with the University Chorus and a local church choir, is an E-mentor for first-year students and is involved in a number of other little activities on campus. She is a student member of the Society of Professional Journalists-Wilkes Chapter.