SG to offer new Casino Week prizes, including skydiving trip

Students who enjoyed last semester’s Casino Week don’t have to look far for some more gaming fun. This semester’s casino week will be running from Tuesday, April 10 to Friday, April 13, right after  students return from Easter break.

The games are Texas Hold ’em, which will be at 6:30 p.m. in the Student Union Building Ballroom on Tuesday. Bingo will be from Wednesday from 8 to 10 p.m. in the Miller Room, Horse Racing will take place Wednesday from 7 to 9 p.m in the SUB first floor lounge.  Finally, Casino Night will be from 7 to 9:30 p.m. on Friday in the SUB Ballroom, with prizes announced at 9:30 p.m.

The top eight winners for Texas Hold’em will receive Best Buy gift cards. For Bingo night, $20 gift cards to Rifkin and Colonel Gambini cafés will be distributed. IPad 2’s will be given out for Thursday’s Horse Racing and the door prizes for Friday’s Casino Night will include a 47 LCD/HD television set.

Student Government Corresponding Secretary Kevin Hopper said this year’s two Casino Weeks have set a new record for a Student Government-hosted event.

“We usually get about 600 students to attend; that set a record. This is the most successful event Student Government hosts,” Hopper, a senior business administration major, said.

Student Government Executive Board Treasurer Samantha Bickert evaluated the prizes for Casino week to see which prizes were most popular.

“I sent out a survey after spring break.  It basically asked what prizes people like, what they want to see in the future, their favorite door prize, and any suggestions they had,” Bickert, a junior P1 pharmacy major, said.

Bickert said she tried to incorporate the student suggestions into the prizes. For example,the iPads from last year’s event were highly popular among students, so she’s two of them as prizes this year. She also increased the number of door prizes per requests from students, along with other prize variations.

“Also, people wanted more gas cards, so I got more Sheetz gift cards, etc,” Bickert said. “And then of course, I kept all the prizes that people voted for the most and got rid of the ones with the least amount of interest to make room for new prizes.”

Like most Student Government events, pizza will be served, but Wilkes identification card  is required to prove that those who attend are Wilkes students. This semester’s Casino Week will be similar to last semester’s, except for the differences in prizes.

Also for the first time this year, participants can donate one ticket to Wilkes Relay for Life, where one ticket will be the equivalent of $1. When one cash in their chips, they will get a ticket, but instead of donating a dollar to Relay for Life, they can donate the ticket. For every ticket, up to $150 is donated to Wilkes Relay for Life from Student Government.

In addition, Hopper said more events will be taking place during this Casino Week and more prizes will be available than at past casino events.

There will also be a new skydiving and mountain biking trip this year.

This is the last Student Government event of the semester. Members said they are always trying to come up with new ideas to accommodate the student body and provide students with ways to socialize and meet new people.

Alyssa Stencavage
Alyssa Stencavage, L&A&E Editor
Alyssa Stencavage is a junior communications studies major at Wilkes University with concentrations in broadcast media and public relations, as well as a minor in marketing. She began her time at The Beacon as a freshman in 2011, when she worked as a staff writer and became the assistant life editor at the start of her sophomore year. She currently is campus life editor. During her sophomore year, she participated in an independent study with the Times Leader, and was also involved with an account team on the Zebra Communication Board during her junior year. She also works with the Wilkes television station, Wilkes Now. Before coming to Wilkes, she wrote for her high school newspaper, while also playing volleyball and running track. Outside of school, Alyssa works as a cashier at a local grocery store and is the oldest of three children. She enjoys listening to music, taking walks and spending time with family and friends. Alyssa believes her experience with The Beacon has improved her as a writer and will help her achieve success beyond her years at Wilkes. In the future, she would like to be an anchor at a local television station.