Alt. Spring Break fundraisers bring in record profits for trips

As students, faculty and staff perused through the Henry Student Center, various faculty members and a student could be seen behind orange meshing. As passersby came and went, they called out to release them.

This is one of the many fun events that is in support of the upcoming Alternative Spring Break trips starting March 3.

On Tuesday, Feb. 7, the Jail and Bail Fundraiser took place in the HSC.  Students and faculty were locked up in their fake jail cells and money was given to either free or keep them in ‘jail.’

The Spaghetti Dinner, which took place on Thursday, Jan. 26, saw record-breaking numbers. The dinner was prepared for 500-600 people, but got close to 1,000.

“It was much larger than last year. We didn’t think we could get close to last year, but the campus turnout support was just amazing,” said Student Government president and senior p2 pharmacy major Willie Eggleston, who is going on an ASB trip to Dominican Republic.

An fundraiser called ‘Stick em-up’ will be taking place on Feb. 23 in the sub lounge. Here students and professors will be standing up against boards and people can buy arms-length pieces of duck tape and tape them to the wall. ‘Stick-em-up’ is expected to raise $200-$300.

Moving off-campus, we see some restaurant fundraisers going on to help with the ASB trip. There was a restaurant night held at Rodano’s. A Friendly’s fundraiser happening on Thursday, Feb. 16 will encompass the entire day. Flyers are at the information desk, and 20 percent of the profits from the entire day will go back to Wilkes.

At a second restaurant fundraiser coming up on Feb. 28 at the McDonald’s on the corner of North Hampton and Wilkes-Barre Boulevard, people simply mentioning Wilkes ASB will send a percentage of the profits back to Wilkes.

There are close to 35-40 students going on the trip, who can go for a minimal cost of $450.

“It is looking like we will reach our fundraising goal of $50,000. There have been great turnouts at the fundraisers thus far, and we are hoping for that to continue, especially with our expanded hours and we are hoping for help from families and faculty,” Eggleston said.

To learn more about the fundraisers, check out Facebook for invites

http://www.facebook.com/#!/events/239847269431917/

http://www.facebook.com/#!/events/289883107731535/

Alyssa Stencavage
Alyssa Stencavage, L&A&E Editor
Alyssa Stencavage is a junior communications studies major at Wilkes University with concentrations in broadcast media and public relations, as well as a minor in marketing. She began her time at The Beacon as a freshman in 2011, when she worked as a staff writer and became the assistant life editor at the start of her sophomore year. She currently is campus life editor. During her sophomore year, she participated in an independent study with the Times Leader, and was also involved with an account team on the Zebra Communication Board during her junior year. She also works with the Wilkes television station, Wilkes Now. Before coming to Wilkes, she wrote for her high school newspaper, while also playing volleyball and running track. Outside of school, Alyssa works as a cashier at a local grocery store and is the oldest of three children. She enjoys listening to music, taking walks and spending time with family and friends. Alyssa believes her experience with The Beacon has improved her as a writer and will help her achieve success beyond her years at Wilkes. In the future, she would like to be an anchor at a local television station.