Health and Wellness Corner: Don’t be sad, be glad!

The winter season is a chance to enjoy activities in the snow, like skiing and snowboarding. But the change in weather and shorter days can make some feel a little depressed. This puts a damper on attitudes and makes everything seem dead and dull.

Even so, there are ways to overcome the feeling of laziness, and to lift our spirits, bring joy to our lives and smiles to our faces. Campus counselor Susan Biskup offers some helpful tips for doing exactly that.

“I always tell people, make your environment sunny and bright. Open the blinds, sit close to the windows in the library and café,” Biskup says. “Make an effort to get out as much as possible during the day and be in the natural light. Take a long walk, eat lunch at a park, exercise regularly.”

Biskup says exercising to the point of breaking a sweat is important if one is feeling anxious or depressed.

She says one way to avoid depressing feelings is light therapy, also called phototherapy. This is done by sitting a few feet away from a specialized light therapy box where one can be exposed to bright light. The light is supposed to mimic real light and create a change in brain chemicals that affect mood.

Cognitive behavioral therapy involves talking about the effects of seasonal depression to a counselor in order to boost moods and change thoughts. This new behavior will in turn reflect better thoughts.

Regular therapy is considered a useful approach. Furthermore, if symptoms are severe antidepressants or supplements recommended by a doctor are beneficial.

Finally, Biskup recommends music therapy as a potential solution. However, some types of music are more helpful than others.

“Listen to music and instruments that are uplifting and soothing,” Biskup says. “Listening to hard, loud music will only bring you down.”

There are also mind and body therapies such as meditation, yoga, guided imagery and massage therapy that serve as great ways to get one’s mind off sad feelings that may emerge during the winter season.

The winter season is a chance to start fresh and play in the snow. But the change in weather and shorter days can make some feel a little depressed. This puts a damper on attitudes and makes everything seem dead and dull.
Even so, there have got to be ways to overcome the feeling of laziness and not wanting to do any ways, to lift our spirits, bring joy to our lives and smiles to our faces. Campus Counselor Susan Biskup offers some helpful tips for doing exactly that.
“I always tell people, make your environment sunny and bright. Open the blinds, sit close to the windows in the library and café,” Biskup said. “Make an effort to get out as much as possible during the day and be in the natural light. Take a long walk, eat lunch at a park, exercise regularly.”
She says one way to avoid feelings that bring people down is light therapy, also called phototherapy.
This is done by sitting a few feet away from a specialized light therapy box where one can be exposed to bright light. The light is supposed to mimic real light and create a change in brain chemicals that affect mood.
Cognitive behavioral therapy involves talking about the effects of seasonal depression to a counsel in order to boost moods and learning to change thoughts. This new behavior will in turn reflect better thoughts.
Regular therapy is also a good method. Furthermore, if symptoms are severe antidepressants or supplements recommended by a doctor are beneficial. Finally, Biskup recommends music therapy.

Alyssa Stencavage
Alyssa Stencavage, L&A&E Editor
Alyssa Stencavage is a junior communications studies major at Wilkes University with concentrations in broadcast media and public relations, as well as a minor in marketing. She began her time at The Beacon as a freshman in 2011, when she worked as a staff writer and became the assistant life editor at the start of her sophomore year. She currently is campus life editor. During her sophomore year, she participated in an independent study with the Times Leader, and was also involved with an account team on the Zebra Communication Board during her junior year. She also works with the Wilkes television station, Wilkes Now. Before coming to Wilkes, she wrote for her high school newspaper, while also playing volleyball and running track. Outside of school, Alyssa works as a cashier at a local grocery store and is the oldest of three children. She enjoys listening to music, taking walks and spending time with family and friends. Alyssa believes her experience with The Beacon has improved her as a writer and will help her achieve success beyond her years at Wilkes. In the future, she would like to be an anchor at a local television station.