Supreme court to review case on bans on same-sex marriage

On Jan 16, the Supreme Court announced it will be reviewing the case upholding bans on same-sex marriage.

The Supreme Court will decide whether same-sex couples will have the right to marry everywhere in America under the Constitution or whether states are free to limit wedlock to its traditional definition as a union only between a man and a woman. The court will be reviewing cases concerning the bans on gay marriage in Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky and Tennessee.

“We are thrilled the court will finally decide this issue,” said James Esseks, director of the ACLU Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender & HIV Project. “The country is ready for a national solution that treats lesbian and gay couples fairly.

The issue of marriage equality was considered by the Supreme Court in 2013, but the court chose not to take the case. However, the decision not to take the case made way for lower court rulings across the country in favor of marriage equality. This decision in 2013 made the number of states allowing same-sex marriage jump from 12 to 36 as of 2015.

Dr. Helen Davis; English professor at Wilkes and advisor of the Gay-Straight Alliance, has a positive outlook on the Supreme Court ruling.

“In many states, including Pennsylvania, same sex couples can marry but two same sex parents cannot be listed on a birth certificate as parents. Instead, the non-birth parent has to go through the long, expensive process of legally adopting their child.” States Davis on the conditions that should come along with the Supreme Court ruling in confirming same-sex marriage as constitutional.

Those on both sides of the issue agreed that the time had come for the Supreme Court to step in and settle the issue.

“I think it’s probably going to be a relief, because if the Supreme Court makes a final determination — and goodness knows, nobody can guess what the Supremes are going to do — then it’s off the table,” said Shawn Steel of the Republican committeeman from California.

The cases will be argued in April, and a decision is expected by late June.

Gabby Glinski
Gabby Glinski, Co-Managing Editor
Gabby Glinski is a senior Communications Studies major, with concentrations in journalism and public relations. She joined the Beacon in 2014 as a photographer and writer for the news section, and served as Assistant News Editor in 2015-2016 school year. She is currently the Co-Managing Editor. Besides her involvement with the Beacon, Gabby enjoys several hobbies including writing, skiing, watching hockey and collecting books. Gabby loves all aspects of photography; from developing 35mm film to using Adobe Photoshop. Her interest in photography started when she was 8-years-old. Since then, she has owned six cameras. Gabby’s hometown is Laporte PA, but she has lived all over Pennsylvania. She moved from Williamsport to Laporte, then attended a preparatory boarding high school in Quakertown and is now living in Wilkes-Barre during the school year. Gabby claims that if someone lives in Pennsylvania, she has probably been to their town before. After graduation in 2017, Gabby plans on working at her high school alma mater as public relations director in admissions or writing for a local paper.