SG notes: fund requests; Vagina Monologues, PBL/FBLA

In the first meeting back after Winter Break, Wilkes University’s Student Government had some old business to review as well as new events coming up.

The Vagina Monologues is a show that is put on every year on Valentine’s Day weekend. This show is a show dedicated to raising money and awareness for the violence against women and girls across the world. Jennifer Magnotta, the representative for the Vagina Monologues this year has requested $1,000 towards this show. This money will be used to help put on the show as well as allow students free admission. The final vote takes place in the next meeting.

Student Government also heard for the PBL/FBLA group. This group will be in attendance of the yearly State Leadership Conference at Harrisburg Hilton Hotel in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania on April 10-12. The group has requested $2,000 to cover the registration fee for the 25 members that will be in attendance. This leadership conference will provide the students with workshops, training seminars and networking opportunities. If a student places at this event they will have to opportunity to continue on to the National Leadership Conference over the summer. Student government will cast their final vote in the next meeting.

Next Wednesday is the Wilkes vs. Kings Women and Men’s basketball games. Student government will be handing out tshirts at the Men’s game.

The council reviewed the Treasurer’s report. The current budget is as follows: All college: $216.72, General Funds: $12,500.00, Conference: $5,000.00 and Spirit: $2,000.00 for a total of: $66,586.37.

Taylor Ryan
Taylor Ryan, Sports Co-Editor
Taylor Ryan is a senior communication studies major with concentrations in strategic communications/public relations and broadcast production. She also has minors in marketing and women's and gender studies. Taylor serves as a Co-Sports Editor for The Beacon.