Wilkes holds memorial for student

Wilkes holds memorial for student

A memorial service for recently deceased Wilkes student Jonathan Ratchko was held tonight at the Dorothy Dickson Darte Center.

Friends, family and faculty gathered to pay their respects and share stories about Ratchko. Photos of him were shown on a slideshow organized by Wilkes student and friend Ben Holmes. Attendees could sign a book addressed to Ratchko’s parents, and his favorite refreshments were served: apples and oreos.

“Wilkes has been very supportive to the friends and family of Johnny,” said Adam Lubas. “In these times of sadness, the school has helped the students stay together as a family.”
Following the service was a candlelight vigil at the River Commons, where a final prayer was dedicated to the student who touched the lives of those around him.

Attendees huddled close to keep away from the cold and told stories and jokes about Ratchko. In unison, they raised their candles and said “cheers” before extinguishing the flame and departing.

James Jaskolka
James Jaskolka, Editor-in-Chief
James Jaskolka is the editor-in-chief of The Beacon, and a senior communication studies major. Armed with concentrations in journalism and public relations, as well as a minor in English, James displays a strong passion for the written word. James will graduate in 2016. After that, they plan to move to Philadelphia to pursue a career in writing and/or event planning. In their free time, James writes for Punk Out, a Philadelphia-based non-profit that seeks to improve the lives of LGBT musicians and fans, and Funeral Sounds, a Houston-based online music magazine. You can contact James at [email protected].