Students participate in Walk-a-Thon, ‘Ruth’s Place’

On Oct. 5, Dr. Maria Grandinetti led a group of 75 Wilkes University students in the annual Walk-A-Thon event benefiting Ruth’s Place House of Hope.

Ruth’s Place, which is a program of Volunteers of America Pennsylvania, is the only homeless shelter in Luzerne County and provides emergency shelter and services for roughly 2,000 homeless women.

Wilkes Nursing students volunteer at Ruth’s Place outside of the annual event as well.

Participating students were from Zeta Psi, the honor society of nursing and Psi Chi, the honor society of psychology as well as students in the Women’s and Gender Studies program.

Each student was asked to create a poster to show their support of the organization as well as a monetary donation was collected.

In total, the group collected $400. Wilkes University School of Nursing, Zeta Psi Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International, the Honor Society of Nursing matched this donation bringing the total to $800.

This is the third year Grandinetti has led a group in the Walk-a-Thon

Grandinetti will also be collecting “Hoodies for the Homeless” for the second year. Items include gently worn men’s and women’s hooded sweatshirts will also be donated to Ruth’s Place. Donations will be given next month.

Last year, 100 hoodies were donated to Ruth’s Place.

For more information on how to donate to “Hoodies for the Homeless”, those interested can contact Grandinetti at 570-408-4066 via email at [email protected], or her office located at SLC Nursing 222.

Sarah Bedford
Sarah Bedford, Editor-in-Chief
Sarah Bedford is a senior Communications Studies and Political Science double major, working towards concentrations in journalism, public relations and rhetoric.
Sarah has been on the Beacon staff since her freshman year, acting as the Assistant News Editor the fall of 2014, the News Editor during her junior year and currently as the paper's Editor-in-Chief.
Along with her Beacon involvement, Sarah is also the President of the Commuter Council, Co-chair of Wilkes College Republicans and an E-Mentor the summer and fall of 2014 as well as a member of the Pi Sigma Alpha Political Science Honor Society and Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society.
Sarah uses journalism as an outlet to combine her love of politics and writing while delivering news to the campus community.