CEO, Wilkes Help with Hunger Action Month

During the month of September, the Commission on Economic Opportunity has promoted efforts to raise money for both Hunger Action Month and Walmart’s Fight Hunger, Spark Change campaign.

Nearly 49 million people are struggling with hunger on a daily basis. This people are not only just in our country; they are living within our communities. CEO is working to remind us that many of these people can be our neighbors, co-workers and friends.

CEO, who holds offices in Wilkes-Barre, has been working towards the eradication of hunger for local families in need. While their efforts are constant, the month of September is highlighted due to its arising title as “Hunger Action Month”.

Hunger Action Month is a nationwide campaign designed to mobilize the public to take action against the issues of hunger. Organized by the Feeding America nationwide network of food banks, the campaign brings attention to the issues of hunger in America and promotes ways for individuals everywhere to get involved with the movement.

CEO has organized a number of events locally during Hunger Action Month to incite awareness and raise funds for those lacking food within the community. Throughout the month, a number of local restaurants within Luzerne and Wyoming counties have partnered with CEO, advertising Hunger Action Month and, in many cases, contributing portions of their sales to the cause. These local restaurants have included Rodano’s, Letts Eat and El Zocalo among many others in the Wilkes-Barre and surrounding areas.

CEO is also working towards winning a national competition sponsored by Walmart’s “Fight Hunger, Spark Change” campaign. By winning this competition, CEO would bring 60,000 dollars to the locally benefitting Weinberg Regional Food Bank, operated by the commission. This food bank helps to supply food to families in need located in Luzerne, Lackawanna, Wyoming and Susquehanna counties.

Gene Brady, executive director for CEO, encourages Wilkes students to get involved. Anyone wishing to help the commission can do so by voting for CEO’s Weinberg Food Bank at “www.walmart.com/fighthunger”. The competition will end on Oct. 5.

“Every vote counts,” said Brady. “Students should vote every day until Oct. 5, and ask their families and friends to vote, as well.”

King Adjei-Frimpong, CEO’s volunteer coordinator, says that the success of their initiatives may not have been possible without the assistance of a particular group of Wilkes University Students. In order to help spread the word throughout the community, CEO has enlisted the help of Wilkes University, Dr. Raineri and members of her “Social Responsibility of Business” course.

“Her students are helping to refresh CEO’s marketing materials and revamp our social media presence,” said the volunteer coordinator. “Their involvement in the endeavor is a great help to the organization.”

Justin Topa
Justin Topa, Life, Arts & Entertainment Editor
Justin Topa, a senior at Wilkes University, currently serves as The Beacon’s Life, Arts and Entertainment Co-Editor. He is a student within the Department of Communication Studies and has dual concentrations in both public relations and rhetoric. Justin, a Dean’s List student, has also declared minors in marketing and women’s and gender studies.   The Pittston native began his early journalism career while still a student writer and editor for his high school newspaper, The Patriot Press. While Justin is dedicated to writing any news fit to print, he enjoys spending time on feature stories, including his work on the continued series, Anatomy of an Administrator, which he began working on in 2012.   Justin also serves as Chair for Zebra Communications, a student-run public relations agency on the Wilkes University campus and is a member of the Public Relations Society of America.