Susquehanna to Freedom: The Role of the Susquehanna River in the Underground Railroad

“Susquehanna to Freedom,” a play that demonstrates the role of the Susquehanna River in the Underground Railroad, can be seen in the Henry Student Center Ballroom on Thursday, October 2, at 5 p.m.

This play, which was written by Dr. Dorothy E. King, will be sponsored by Misericordia University and Wilkes University. King is a playwright and associate professor of sociology at Penn State University.

“Susquehanna to Freedom” examines the role the Susquehanna River played in helping runaway slaves make their way north. In addition, the play speculates about how a trio of slaves, whose names appear in an 1842 runaway advertisement announcing their escape from Harford County, MD, might have actually made their way to freedom using the river as a guide.

The play also highlights the work of African American abolitionists who assisted the escaped slaves along the way, risking imprisonment under the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850 for merely helping those fleeing slavery.

This event will be free and open to the public. Refreshments will also be served. For more information, contact Erica Acosta through her email at [email protected].

Justin Topa
Justin Topa, Life, Arts & Entertainment Editor
Justin Topa, a senior at Wilkes University, currently serves as The Beacon’s Life, Arts and Entertainment Co-Editor. He is a student within the Department of Communication Studies and has dual concentrations in both public relations and rhetoric. Justin, a Dean’s List student, has also declared minors in marketing and women’s and gender studies.   The Pittston native began his early journalism career while still a student writer and editor for his high school newspaper, The Patriot Press. While Justin is dedicated to writing any news fit to print, he enjoys spending time on feature stories, including his work on the continued series, Anatomy of an Administrator, which he began working on in 2012.   Justin also serves as Chair for Zebra Communications, a student-run public relations agency on the Wilkes University campus and is a member of the Public Relations Society of America.