Keynote speakers announced for graduation cermonies

As the academic year is coming to a close again so is the undergraduate career for Wilkes graduating seniors, along with the current graduating students in the master programs.

Wilkes will host the 67th annual Spring Commencement exercises on May 17.

Both undergraduate and graduate ceremonies are scheduled for the same day.

At every commencement ceremony one or more keynote speakers are asked to give a speech. There is a lengthy process of choosing who will be speaking at the ceremonies.

“The process goes on all year long. The members of the Honorary Degree Committee are always on the lookout for individuals who can bring an inspiring message to our graduates and who would be worthy of receiving an honorary degree from Wilkes,” Vice President of Student Affairs Paul Adams said.

This year the keynote speakers will be Christopher N. Breiseth and Stelios Patsiokas ‘75.

At the graduate ceremony at 10 a.m. will be Christopher N. Breiseth, the fourth President of Wilkes. Breiseth will receive the Doctor of Humane Letters degree, honoris causa, during the ceremony.

The commencement speaker for the undergraduate ceremony at 3 p.m. is Stelios Patsiokas ‘75, Chief Innovation Officer and corporate vice president at Sirius XM.

Patsiokas will receive the Doctor of Science degree, honoris causa, during this ceremony.

The honoris causa is a degree where the university has waived the usual requirements, such as matriculation, study and the passing of examinations.

“Both our speakers have lived inspiring lives and had great achievements,” Adams said. “Both have close ties to Wilkes and will be able to draw on their Wilkes experiences to enhance their messages to the graduates.”

The Office of Student Affairs manages commencement and its related activities and events.

Questions regarding Commencement should be directed to the Office of Student Affairs at Passan Hall (570) 408-4100 (570) 408-4100.

Nicole Zukowski
Nicole Zukowski, Life, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Nicole Zukowski is a junior Communication Studies major with concentrations in journalism, public relations and rhetoric. Nicole, a Dean’s List student, is also studying in three minors: History, Marketing, and Women’s and Gender Studies.

Nicole has been on the Beacon staff since her first semester at Wilkes. She has held various positions on The Beacon such as Assistant News Editor, News Editor, and now she is currently the Life, Arts and Entertainment Editor.

Apart from The Beacon, Nicole spends her time as Co-Editor of the Medium, the Department of Communication Studies newsletter and as Co-Office Manager for Zebra Communications, the student-run public relations agency on the Wilkes University campus and is a member of the Public Relations Society of America.