Concerns surface about campus safety

Knowing safety tips can help reduce chances of having an altercation. Walking in groups instead of alone and having a phone of easy of access are just two tips to be safe. Public Safety patrols campus all day every day to ensure safety.

A text alert went out March 29 to students and faculty about a sexual assault that happened on the Wilkes campus earlier that morning.

Further updates later explained that the incident happened in the heart of campus, the Greenway, and moved into one of the most utilized buildings, Stark Learning Center.

The victim, a female undergraduate student, was walking from Roth Hall to Waller Hall at about 1:45 a.m. on March 29 then she was approached near the flagpole by what was described as a tall, white male with short hair.

The assailant greeted her and then grabbed the female student’s arm, dragging her toward the Stark loading dock. The assailant forcibly pulled her into Stark and into an unlocked room close to the doors, where he began touching her. The female was able to escape. She was not harmed.

Last Monday, an email was sent to the Wilkes Community on the behalf of Christopher Jagoe.

The email stated “Our dedicated staff of public safety officers patrol the campus and its perimeter 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.”

“The investigation into this incident led to the identification of the other involved individual,” the email also stated.

The email also said that “the university officials are proceeding with actions in accordance with University policies.”

The text alert reached the university population in the afternoon of that day, creating about a 15 hour gap from when it happened to when the community was notified. Students are starting to feel that the university downplays the problem of campus safety when ordeal like this one happens, focusing on minor incidences.

Many students worry about the safety on campus when the thought of a sexual assault happened in the center of campus, where you would expect to be safe. How safe do students feel on campus?

“Last night, two Public Safety officers notified me that there was a man looking through my window,” Adela Torres said. “Unfortunately this peeping tom caught me post shower apparently and by the sounds of it had been watching me as I was getting dressed.”

“The issue if I’m assaulted after a party is not whether I was drunk or not. The issue is not why I was out after 10 p.m. The issue is not that I was wearing a short skirt,” said Torres, a sophomore. “The issue is not that I was flirting. The issue is I am scared I’m going to be raped and I’m not the only one who feels this way.”

Public Safety made it a point to ensure that they have measures in place so this kind of crime does not occur on campus.

If anyone has any additional information about this incident could contact the Department of Public Safety at (570) 408-4999.

Nicole Zukowski
Nicole Zukowski, Life, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Nicole Zukowski is a junior Communication Studies major with concentrations in journalism, public relations and rhetoric. Nicole, a Dean’s List student, is also studying in three minors: History, Marketing, and Women’s and Gender Studies.

Nicole has been on the Beacon staff since her first semester at Wilkes. She has held various positions on The Beacon such as Assistant News Editor, News Editor, and now she is currently the Life, Arts and Entertainment Editor.

Apart from The Beacon, Nicole spends her time as Co-Editor of the Medium, the Department of Communication Studies newsletter and as Co-Office Manager for Zebra Communications, the student-run public relations agency on the Wilkes University campus and is a member of the Public Relations Society of America.