Beacon Briefs for week of Feb. 11-18

Actors, editors needed for state pharmacy student video competition

The Pennsylvania Pharmacist Association (PPA)is holding a student competition between all state pharmacy schools. Any school can submit a video of any length with the intent of “immunization public awareness.” The due date is Feb. 28. Wilkes’ theme for the video is the sitcom “The Office.” The script has already been written and is about three minutes long. PPA is in need of: a filmographer, an editor, actors to portray Micheal Scott, Jim Halpert, Pam Beasley-Halpert, Dwight Schrute, Kevin Malone, extra office workers, pharmacist and pharmacy interns. Anyone affiliated with Wilkes (students and faculty) can help with the video. If interested, email Alysha Lopez at [email protected] and let her know the role you are interested in. Filming can take place in one evening.

Psychology honor society accepts applications to Wilkes chapter

The Wilkes chapter of Psi Chi, the International Honor Society of Psychology, is accepting applications. Requirements for membership include registration as a psychology major or minor, second-semester sophomore status (at least 45 completed undergraduate credits), completion of at least three psychology courses at Wilkes, overall GPA of 3.0 or higher, psychology GPA of 3.4 or higher, and good moral character. Application forms are available from Cheryl Feichter, department secretary, in Breiseth 327. The completed application must be turned in to Feichter no later than Feb. 24. Attach an unofficial transcript to the application. If you have any questions or concerns about Psi Chi, contact Dr. Jennifer Thomas, Psi-Chi adviser, at [email protected], Alysha Bixler or Kristen Craven, Psi Chi co-presidents, at [email protected] and [email protected].

Information Feb. 25 in SUB for social, public service careers

A variety of social service, government, public service and environmental agencies will host information tables to speak to students about their job opportunities, internships, volunteering, and career options from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Henry Student Center Ballroom, Feb. 25. Students in the social sciences and environmental sciences can apply for internships or jobs by bringing resumes and dressing in business attire, or talk to representatives about volunteering or future careers. For resume assistance or questions, contact Career Services at Conyngham Hall 215 or via email at [email protected].

Club seeking new participants for rock-climbing Thursdays

The Climbing Club hosts open climb from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Thursday in the UCOM and is actively seeking new students, faculty and staff to try out climbing wall. Rock climbing is a great way to burn stress, exercise in untraditional way and experience a crowd of adventure-loving people who may or may not also be afraid of heights. Club members will teach participants how to work the ropes, climbing techniques and how to stretch your comfort zone in good company. Email [email protected] for any questions or details.

‘A World Apart’ exhibit continues

The Sordoni Art Gallery is presenting “A World Apart: The Legacy of George Gabin” through May 11. The gallery is located at 150 S. River St. in the Stark Learning Center on the Wilkes University campus. The gallery is open from noon to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday through Sunday. The gallery follows the university schedule and is closed during holidays and university breaks, admission is free. For more information, call 570-408-4325.

Gardner Forum Series to hold lecture on reporting child abuse

The Drs. Robert and Judy Gardner Educational Forum Series Event is holding a lecture on child abuse and mandatory reporting of abuse from 4:30 to 6 p.m. Feb. 13. The lecture features Karen Lindesy of the Victims Resource Center in Wilkes-Barre. The event takes place in the Arnaud C. Marts Center, Room 214.

‘No Frills Revue’ features skit comedy Feb. 23 in Darte Center

Wilkes University Theatre presents “The No Frills Revue,” a play directed by Teresa Fallon with musical direction chosen by Ken McGraw. The show time is at 2 p.m. Feb. 23 in the Dorothy Dickson Darte Center. “The No Frills Revue” is an evening of sketch comedy and song set in a comedy club. The ticket price is general admission of $10, seniors and students $5. The show is free for faculty, staff, and students with a valid Wilkes ID.

Lecture discusses ‘Future Trends’

The Allan P. Kirby Lecture Series will present a lecture on the topic of trends in the future at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 25. “Why Future Trends will Demand Unlearning” will feature Jack Uldrich, a renowned global futurist and the author of eleven books. This event will take place in the Dorothy Dickson Darte Center.

Theatre, musical theatre auditions

Audition dates for theatre and musical theatre are set for Feb. 22, March 15 and April 5. Anyone who would like to schedule an audition for one of the programs must complete and submit an application. Because scholarship awards are determined on a rolling basis, it is to the student’s advantage to audition early. Students must be accepted into the university before their audition dates. To request more information about the programs, use the information request form located on the Theatre Department website.

Relay hosts Krispy Kreme fundraiser

The Zeta Psi Nursing team will be sponsoring a Krispy Kreme Fundraiser for Relay for Life. The sale will run Feb. 3-19. The doughnuts will be delivered on Feb. 26. If interested in placing an order, contact Cathy Hauze at ext 7120 or via e-mail at [email protected].

Wilkes School of Education hosts Adventures in Reading Program

The Wilkes University School of Education is once again sponsoring Adventures in Reading, an after school reading program for children in grades Pre-K through five. Teacher education candidates will present innovative learning opportunities across the content areas with a focus on vocabulary and comprehension enrichment. The free series of nine sessions are from 4-5:30 p.m. Feb. 12 on the second floor of Breiseth Hall. Contact Dr. Diane Polachek at [email protected] for more information and registration forms.

Nicole Zukowski
Nicole Zukowski, Life, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Nicole Zukowski is a junior Communication Studies major with concentrations in journalism, public relations and rhetoric. Nicole, a Dean’s List student, is also studying in three minors: History, Marketing, and Women’s and Gender Studies.

Nicole has been on the Beacon staff since her first semester at Wilkes. She has held various positions on The Beacon such as Assistant News Editor, News Editor, and now she is currently the Life, Arts and Entertainment Editor.

Apart from The Beacon, Nicole spends her time as Co-Editor of the Medium, the Department of Communication Studies newsletter and as Co-Office Manager for Zebra Communications, the student-run public relations agency on the Wilkes University campus and is a member of the Public Relations Society of America.