Beacon Briefs for week of Feb. 5-12

Adventures in Reading Program

Wilkes University School of Education is once again sponsoring Adventures in Reading, an after school reading program for children in grades Pre-K through five.  Teacher Education candidates will present innovative learning opportunities across the content areas with a focus on vocabulary and comprehension enrichment.  The series of nine sessions, which is free of charge, begins on Wed. Feb. 12 from 4 to 5:30 p.m. on the second floor of Breiseth Hall.  Contact Dr. Diane Polachek at [email protected] for more information and registration forms.

I’m Very Fondue of You

Alternative Spring Break team will be selling tickets for their event “I’m Very Fondue of You” Chocolate Fondue Dipping Bar being held Feb. 11 from 11 a.m. to 1p.m. in the Henry Student Center Concourse. The cost of an all inclusive ticket is $5, which entitles guests to 2 strawberries, 2 pretzels, 2 marshmallows and 1 crispy rice treat. Guests may also make a donation per individual or additional item.

Open Mic Night

Calling all singers, poets, dancers, magicians, jugglers or anyone who has a talent! Wilkes University Programming Board will be holding an Open Mic Night at 7 p.m.  Feb. 6 will be coffee, tea, snacks and gift cards for anyone who participates!

Multicultural Awards

Center for Global Education and Diversity accepts nominations once a year for students, faculty, staff and board members demonstrating significant contributions toward raising multicultural awareness at Wilkes University. For more information contact the Office Of Diversity Initiatives.

Krispy Kreme Fundraiser for Relay for Life

The Zeta Psi Nursing team will be sponsoring a Krispy Kreme Fundraiser for Relay for Life. The sale will run from Monday, Feb. 3, to Wednesday, Feb. 19. The doughnuts will be delivered on Wednesday,  Feb. 26. Anyone interested in placing an order can contact Cathy Hauze at ext 7120 or via e-mail at [email protected].

Wear Red Run

March 23 5k. Race starts at 10 a.m. Pre-registration is at the Northampton St. Portal (Kirby Park) from 8:30am until 9:45. The event will be held regardless of weather. The color red is the embodiment of health and vitality.  Operation Heart’s Wear Red Run strives to promote awareness of heart disease as well as the importance of leading an active lifestyle. Participants are strongly encouraged to wear their red shirts, dresses, hats, sneakers, shorts, tights, fanny packs, tutus, and any other weather-appropriate running gear. Awards will be given to the top male and female participants, as well as to the participant who best embraces the “WEAR RED” spirit. Arrive early to the event to receive a WEAR RED hat. Registration: $12 (Checks may be made payable to Wilkes University APhA-ASP). For more information, contact Lizzie Cook ([email protected]) or Bethany Sharpless ([email protected])

Rock Climbing Thursdays

The Climbing Club hosts open climb every Thursday 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the UCOM and is actively seeking new students, faculty and staff to try out the climbing wall. Rock climbing is a great way to burn stress, exercise the nontraditional way and experience a crowd of adventure-loving people who may or may not also be afraid of heights. Instructors will teach you how to work the ropes, climbing techniques and how to stretch your comfort zone in good company. Email [email protected] for any questions or details.

Sarah Bedford
Sarah Bedford, Editor-in-Chief
Sarah Bedford is a senior Communications Studies and Political Science double major, working towards concentrations in journalism, public relations and rhetoric.
Sarah has been on the Beacon staff since her freshman year, acting as the Assistant News Editor the fall of 2014, the News Editor during her junior year and currently as the paper's Editor-in-Chief.
Along with her Beacon involvement, Sarah is also the President of the Commuter Council, Co-chair of Wilkes College Republicans and an E-Mentor the summer and fall of 2014 as well as a member of the Pi Sigma Alpha Political Science Honor Society and Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society.
Sarah uses journalism as an outlet to combine her love of politics and writing while delivering news to the campus community.