Arrest powers, weapons considered for Public Safety

David Lee

The administration is considering the issue of whether the office of Public Safety should possess weapons and have powers of arrest.

As part of the recent assessment the office has undergone over the past year, one of the recommendations made by the firm Margolis, Healy and Associates was to have a hybrid force of both armed and unarmed officers.

Public Safety Manager Jerry Rebo said becoming armed and having powers of arrest means part of the staff would be Act 120-certified, meaning they would be trained to be police officers and the rest of the staff would be Act 235-certified, meaning they are authorized to carry weapons such as mace.

Rebo noted there are five Public Safety officers who are Act 120-certified, but he said all of the Public Safety officers’ training would not discontinue under the new rules.

“All of them would be highly trained and their training would not just stop because they have Act 120 training, they will continue to do training while they’re here at Wilkes,” Rebo said.

Rebo said all officers would receive investigatory and weapons training. They would also continue to be trained on self-defense and carry firearms and tasers.

However, Vice President of Finance and General Counsel Loren Prescott said the decision for Public Safety officers to carry weapons and have powers of arrest is one that President Patrick Leahy is obligated to make. Prescott said that decision is being made based on the on-campus forums with faculty, staff, students, the cabinet and the Board of Trustees.

“With all of that information, the president will make a decision,” Prescott said. “It’s also based on the recommendation we’ve received from Margolis, Healy and Associates. They have recommended a so-called hybrid force, which is a combination of officers who have sworn powers and are armed, (and) also officers who have public safety officer training but are not armed and sworn.”

Prescott said there have been discussions within his cabinet on the issue of Public Safety possessing weapons and having powers of arrest, similar to the forums held with the rest of the campus community.

Rebo explained that having these certifications will mean officers will have the power to arrest and take people into custody on-site for incidents such as the one that occurred Nov. 4 when a female undergraduate student was robbed of her cell phone around 8:59 p.m. in front of the University Center on Main Street parking garage.

They would also be able to fill out all legal paperwork, keep a person in a holding cell and take suspects to the magistrate’s office to be arranged.

“If an incident happened on campus from a minor violation like underage drinking to an assault, rape, they would have the power to arrest right there on-spot and take people into custody,” Rebo said.

Christine Lee, Life Editor
Senior News Editor Christine Lee is a senior communication studies major with concentrations in journalism, broadcast media and rhetoric and minors in history and political science. She brings three and a half years of experience writing for The Beacon, having served as Life Editor from January 2011 (spring semester of her freshman year) to April 2012 (her sophomore year) and a staff writer from September-December 2010 (fall of her freshman year). She became news editor in fall 2012 and as a graduating senior, she serves as a writer and mentor to incoming Beacon staff. Christine carries a passion for all things news and current events and looks forward to covering major events on campus. She fully believes in respect for each person being interviewed, as she believes they have a story to tell her and she is recording it in print or on-air. A Dean's List student, she hails from the small town of Bloomsbury, N.J., and in addition to her role as News editor, she is an on-air reporter for "Wilkes Now," the student-produced television program filmed on campus, sings with the University Chorus and a local church choir, is an E-mentor for first-year students and is involved in a number of other little activities on campus. She is a student member of the Society of Professional Journalists-Wilkes Chapter.