Anatomy of an Administrator: Philip Ruthkosky on his greatest achievements in life

Philip Ruthkosky, the associate dean of Student Development at, has recently become a new father.

The associate dean is responsible for directing all aspects of Student Development including, but not limited to, Adventure Education, internships, civic engagement, student activities, leadership and campus interfaith. In addition to this, Ruthkosky serves as Student Government adviser.

Ruthkosky was first hired by Wilkes in 1999 for a position involved with coordinating internships. He was soon promoted to director of Student Development, which led to his current position as associate dean.

Through this position, Ruthkosky has had the opportunity to travel and has experienced countless activities both hosted and participated in by Wilkes students.  He considers getting to know students on a personal level one of his favorite parts of his position.

Ruthkosky has said that a time when he was most proud of being a part of Wilkes University came after the flooding of the Susquehanna River in the fall 2011.

“It was a time that hit the community hard,” Ruthkosky said. “A lot of houses had tremendous damages and families were really in a tough position during that time. To see the way that our campus as a whole came together in support of the community just shows that our students, faculty and staff really have an appreciation for the idea that we are a part of something bigger. When the community needed them the most, they were there.”

He spends as much time as possible with his wife, Renee, and their daughter, Elle, who is five months old.

The Ruthkosky family still stays active by jogging and hiking with Elle on-board in her jogging stroller. When asked of his proudest achievement, he smiled and pointed to a photograph of his wife and daughter.

“It’s interesting because, when I get up in the morning, I try to read journals and books to stay current with the field of student affairs and higher education, and then, at night, I’m reading children’s books to my daughter,” Ruthkosky said. “It’s quite a dichotomy because I’m reading an academic journal in the morning and “Itsy Bitsy Spider” at night. It’s interesting but I wouldn’t trade it for the world.”

Justin Topa
Justin Topa, Life, Arts & Entertainment Editor
Justin Topa, a senior at Wilkes University, currently serves as The Beacon’s Life, Arts and Entertainment Co-Editor. He is a student within the Department of Communication Studies and has dual concentrations in both public relations and rhetoric. Justin, a Dean’s List student, has also declared minors in marketing and women’s and gender studies.   The Pittston native began his early journalism career while still a student writer and editor for his high school newspaper, The Patriot Press. While Justin is dedicated to writing any news fit to print, he enjoys spending time on feature stories, including his work on the continued series, Anatomy of an Administrator, which he began working on in 2012.   Justin also serves as Chair for Zebra Communications, a student-run public relations agency on the Wilkes University campus and is a member of the Public Relations Society of America.