SG constitutional policy on inactive campus clubs

At last month’s Student Government meeting, one club was disbanded on campus and one was transferred to another. Which leads to the question: what exactly leads to a club being declared “inactive?”

Last month, SG decided to disband the Student Political Action Forum due to four years of inactivity. They also decided to reform the environmental club into the Outdoor Club.

“If we haven’t seen any activity or haven’t seen any attendance at any of the meetings in two to four years, then we get the idea that there may not be an active club in place,” SG president Kris Rivers said.

According to Article IX, Section IV, of the Student Government Constitution, “The SG Body may, over two weeks, vote to disband a university club, organization, or council it presides over for the following reasons,” one of which is “lack of interest or activity for a minimum of one year.”

The process for disbanding the club is a two-week process. The first week of the process is an announcement of the action and previous account holders will be contacted. If there is no more interest in the club, then the second week is a vote held by SG members. If the club is disbanded then the account is taken down.

“If there is any money in the account, all of that would be redirected to the Student Government’s Buffer Fund,” Associate dean of student development Philip Ruthkosky said.

However, most of the time there is not a lot of money in the account because of the inactivity.

Students interested in restarting a club that has been disbanded, would have to go through the two-week Club Recognition process with SG.

“It is the natural life cycle for a small number of clubs and the reason being is a group of students are very passionate about a particular area or particular sport and there is not the underclassmen there to take the baton,” Ruthkosky said.

Shawn Carey, Contributing Writer