Wilkes to unveil new mobile application this semester

Now, Wilkes can count itself among those who can say, “there is an app for that!”

Debuting for the Fall 2012 semester, Wilkes is creating a mobile application for students that have an iOS or Android smartphone.

“The app will allow us to bundle a lot of services to students. So think of it as a mobile version of the MyWilkes portal,” Chief Information Officer Gloria Barlow, said.

The app will be linked directly to the student’s LIVE D2L account, have access to events on campus, sports schedules and weekly dining menus.

Students will be able to download the app for free.

There will be different “phases” for the app and more features will be added to the app in the future.

However, the features will be dependent on student’s reaction to the app.

The tentative release of the app is scheduled for the middle of October. So far, students seem to be very excited about the release of the app as well.

“It would be really convenient to be able to have information like the dinner menu and sports schedule at my fingertips no matter where I am,” sophomore pre-pharmacy Krista Bower major, said.

The app is being made by mobile convergence company Moofwd, whose primary goal of is to design mobile applications that students and faculty members can use for educational purposes.

Barlow has been working with Moofwd since February to design an app that students would want to use.

This past week, The Beacon, was able to get an “insiders-look” at the new proposed app that students will use.

Students will have access to their professors, grades and course documents whenever they want.

Professors will be able to send students notifications right to their mobile device when there is new course content. Students will also have access to their grades and how they are doing in each course.

Barlow said the cost the university has to pay for the app is laid out in a “pay-per-student” agreement.

“A wonderful thing that I am delighted with this company is that it is taking a more progressive pricing model,” Barlow said. The university will only pay for the number of students that download the app and not a large lump sum of money.

Barlow also said that she will be having a contest for students to name the new app. There will be more information to come.

Students with any questions about the app or contest can contact Barlow at [email protected].

Shawn Carey, Contributing Writer