MSC celebrates Black History Month through poetry event

On Thursday, February 19, the Multicultural Student Coalition hosted a poetry slam inspired by Black History Month.

Students within the Multicultural Student Coalition and other students who attended the event delivered poems written by famous African American poets, works inspired by Black History Month and slam poems. MSC also served freshly baked desserts to those in attendance.

Jaleel Sterling, a senior undergraduate student and member of MSC, delivered a poem titled “Riches”, but added personal touches to the work. He dedicated his delivery to his supportive family and received a number of snaps from the audience for his performance.

Erica Chambers, a Wilkes University pharmacy student, is the treasurer for the Multicultural Student Coalition who helped to organize the event and also participated. She said the event was a success and that the MSC is likely to hold similar events in the future.

“We wanted people to celebrate Black History Month while gaining a bit of culture and background in different forms of poetry,” Chambers said.

MSC is scheduled to host a talent show in March. For more information on upcoming events or to join MSC, students are asked to e-mail president Kayla Rooney via [email protected].

Justin Topa
Justin Topa, Life, Arts & Entertainment Editor
Justin Topa, a senior at Wilkes University, currently serves as The Beacon’s Life, Arts and Entertainment Co-Editor. He is a student within the Department of Communication Studies and has dual concentrations in both public relations and rhetoric. Justin, a Dean’s List student, has also declared minors in marketing and women’s and gender studies.   The Pittston native began his early journalism career while still a student writer and editor for his high school newspaper, The Patriot Press. While Justin is dedicated to writing any news fit to print, he enjoys spending time on feature stories, including his work on the continued series, Anatomy of an Administrator, which he began working on in 2012.   Justin also serves as Chair for Zebra Communications, a student-run public relations agency on the Wilkes University campus and is a member of the Public Relations Society of America.