Commuter Council Hosts “Almost Valentine’s Day” Social

On Tuesday, Feb. 10, Wilkes University’s Commuter Council hosted an “Almost Valentine’s Day” social event in the first floor lounge of the Henry Student Center.

The events for the evening consisted of an ice cream eating contest, a balloon pop, bingo and a Wilkes University version of the newlywed game, which drew the most interaction from those in attendance. The Newlywed Game was a new addition to the activities this year and, with a large combination of couples, friends and even a pair of strangers participating, proved to be a success.

Commuter Council also provided the party-goers with a buffet of baked goods, including brownies baked by freshman Lauren Evans, and 8 pies of Januzzi’s pizza. While the event was scheduled to last from 5 to 8 p.m., Commuter Council ran out of food after two hours due to a large increase of those in attendance compared to the previous years.

Brian Surdovel, a Wilkes University sophomore majoring in finance, was one of dozens who were in attendance during the event on Tuesday evening. He found the Newlywed Game to be an amusing alternative to an otherwise boring weeknight.

“It was a relatively comical experience,” said Surdovel. “It may have been disorganized at times, but it was a fun thing to do on an otherwise eventless Tuesday night.”

Wilkes University’s Commuter Council is also scheduled to host a bus trip on March 28 to Washington, D.C. and a Mad Hatter-themed tea party on April 21.

For additional information on upcoming events or to learn about becoming involved with Commuter Council, which is open to all students regardless of residence status, students are encouraged to e-mail Commuter Council President, Sarah Bedford, via [email protected].

Justin Topa
Justin Topa, Life, Arts & Entertainment Editor
Justin Topa, a senior at Wilkes University, currently serves as The Beacon’s Life, Arts and Entertainment Co-Editor. He is a student within the Department of Communication Studies and has dual concentrations in both public relations and rhetoric. Justin, a Dean’s List student, has also declared minors in marketing and women’s and gender studies.   The Pittston native began his early journalism career while still a student writer and editor for his high school newspaper, The Patriot Press. While Justin is dedicated to writing any news fit to print, he enjoys spending time on feature stories, including his work on the continued series, Anatomy of an Administrator, which he began working on in 2012.   Justin also serves as Chair for Zebra Communications, a student-run public relations agency on the Wilkes University campus and is a member of the Public Relations Society of America.