When one plus one equals three

The expression goes ‘it takes two to tango’.

One man and one woman dance the night away under the sheets and nine months later a baby is staring up at them. They are now new parents.

But how did this happen? She was on the pill.

Last Tuesday night BACCHUS held “Sexual Jeopardy” in the Ballroom of the Henry Student Center second floor.

The host for the night, Anne Holmes, read surprising statistics making the crowd gasp throughout the night.

One fact, in particular, was that many women who take oral contraceptions are not taking them correctly.

Contraceptions only work when used properly. Knowing the facts and reading the instructions can prevent unexpected outcomes.

“I feel that college students are more prone to being sexually active and therefore it is vital to be educated in sex education and the practices of safe sex in general,” junior communication studies major, Amanda Fulk, said.

Ways of practicing safe sex come from educating oneself about the different forms of contraceptives and the prevention of sexual transmitted infections, STIs.

There is a common misconception that birth control is only a female responsibility because the various forms of female contraceptives come to mind.

“I think it is important that both men and women know the facts about birth control for a couple of reasons,” Fulk said. “First off, the pill does not protect either partner from sexually transmitted diseases. Secondly, there is always a slim chance of pregnancy without a condom regardless if you are on the pill or not. Again, both men and women should be educated when it comes to birth control to help practice the need for safe sex.”

Practicing safe sex, whether it is a random one time night or a serious relationship, should be of priority.

“If it’s just a hook up, you should definitely wear a condom as the form of birth control because you don’t know where or who else she’s been,” sophomore Jeff Horwith said.

Sexual activity with another person calls for a sense of trust and a conversation about sexual history. Talking before the sexual action is the responsible way of protecting yourself, but the need of action with condoms and other methods of birth control is just as important.

“If you’re just hooking up with her, use a condom because if she’s having sex with you without dating there’s a good chance she’s having sex with someone else too. Not always true, but it’s a solid rule of thumb to avoid the clap (chlamydia),” Britton Heim said.

It is reported that one of the most common STI among people between the ages of 15 to 24 is chlamydia.  Chlamydia is the most prevalent bacterial STI in the United States, with over 1 million new cases reported annually.The Center for Disease Control and Prevention advise active females aged 25 years or younger to get tested for chlamydia every year because chlamydia can affect the chances of fertility.

“Most college students are between the ages of 17 to 24, which has been found to be the group that is most susceptible to new STI infections. People in this age group acquire almost half of all new STIs every year, with individuals between the ages of 20 to 24 accounting for the highest infection rates,” reported Ask Alice, an informational website sponsored by Columbia University.

Practicing safe sex is the responsibly of every person to take care of themselves.

The Wilkes Health and Wellness Services Department in Passan Hall offers free and confidential testing. The next scheduled days for these tests are Mar. 19 from 3 to 5 P.M. and April 21 from 11 .M. to 1 P.M.

Any questions on sex education contact Wilkes Health and Wellness Services Department in Passan Hall or go to Askalice.com.

Nicole Zukowski
Nicole Zukowski, Life, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Nicole Zukowski is a junior Communication Studies major with concentrations in journalism, public relations and rhetoric. Nicole, a Dean’s List student, is also studying in three minors: History, Marketing, and Women’s and Gender Studies.

Nicole has been on the Beacon staff since her first semester at Wilkes. She has held various positions on The Beacon such as Assistant News Editor, News Editor, and now she is currently the Life, Arts and Entertainment Editor.

Apart from The Beacon, Nicole spends her time as Co-Editor of the Medium, the Department of Communication Studies newsletter and as Co-Office Manager for Zebra Communications, the student-run public relations agency on the Wilkes University campus and is a member of the Public Relations Society of America.