More than just politics: College Republicans

College is a time in life where one has the option to get involved and educate themselves about subject matters that affect society.
The United States Government is the central decision making unit for the country. One group at Wilkes is trying to help students to become more educated about the party systems and encourage political interest.
“Wilkes University College Republicans works towards actively engaging college students in political participation while educating the student body on Republican ideals,” Emma Leach, co-chair of College Republicans said.
College Republicans welcome anyone who identifies republican or is interested in learning more about the political views of the republican party.
For election day that just past, an ideology testing and voter registration table was set up for students to get information and ask any questions they might have had.
“We give students the opportunity to express their political views while enjoying free pizza. We also explained the importance of voter registration to Wilkes students,” Leach said.
This was the second year College Republicans held this informational table for students.
College Republicans also participants in conferences in PA. Last year they attended a Conference at Temple University in Philadelphia.
Leach explains, “The club will also be attending a conference in the spring, we will be meeting with other College Republicans from multiple PA campuses.”
Besides the political aspect, College Republicans volunteers their time raising money and help through service.
“Currently the club is planning a bake sale that should happen in December along with a community service project,” Leach said.
This club takes on an array of tasks that it more than just spreading the ideas of republicans.
“I personally enjoy the club because of all the people we meet and all the different opinions I encounter. College Republicans is just another way of expressing yourself,” Leach said.
“It’s also great meeting with people who have the same beliefs as you, a common ground,.”
For more information contact Emma Leach at [email protected]

Nicole Zukowski
Nicole Zukowski, Life, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Nicole Zukowski is a junior Communication Studies major with concentrations in journalism, public relations and rhetoric. Nicole, a Dean’s List student, is also studying in three minors: History, Marketing, and Women’s and Gender Studies.

Nicole has been on the Beacon staff since her first semester at Wilkes. She has held various positions on The Beacon such as Assistant News Editor, News Editor, and now she is currently the Life, Arts and Entertainment Editor.

Apart from The Beacon, Nicole spends her time as Co-Editor of the Medium, the Department of Communication Studies newsletter and as Co-Office Manager for Zebra Communications, the student-run public relations agency on the Wilkes University campus and is a member of the Public Relations Society of America.