Not a dry eye left in the theather after Bridegroom

Last Tuesday Wilkes hosted a screening of Bridegroom, a award-winning documentary about a man forbidden to attend his partner’s funeral and denied any legal standing in relation to his partner of years with the producer and focus of the film in attendance.

“I just want to say thank you so much for all of you being here tonight, for giving me the opportunity to share my story with all of you,” Shane Bitney Crone said to the audience after the showing.

Around 200 people from the Wilkes community and surrounding areas made up the audience. The event was free and open to the public.

Following the screening of the documentary was a question and answer segment with the audience and Crone. Questions hit a diverse array of topics from love to religion to the number of snakes Grandma Pat, interviewed in the film, killed.

Ending the night was a dessert reception opened to everyone who came out.

Anthony Bartoli, senior Communication Studies major organized the event in hopes of informing the community of the issues of equality and sharing Crone’s message to the Wilkes-Barre area.

Nicole Zukowski
Nicole Zukowski, Life, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Nicole Zukowski is a junior Communication Studies major with concentrations in journalism, public relations and rhetoric. Nicole, a Dean’s List student, is also studying in three minors: History, Marketing, and Women’s and Gender Studies.

Nicole has been on the Beacon staff since her first semester at Wilkes. She has held various positions on The Beacon such as Assistant News Editor, News Editor, and now she is currently the Life, Arts and Entertainment Editor.

Apart from The Beacon, Nicole spends her time as Co-Editor of the Medium, the Department of Communication Studies newsletter and as Co-Office Manager for Zebra Communications, the student-run public relations agency on the Wilkes University campus and is a member of the Public Relations Society of America.