The Performing Arts students take center stage

One of their most colorful and eclectic theater seasons is planned for Wilkes Department of Visual and Performing Arts along with numerous performing events.

This year, there are six first-year students taking part in the performances.

“The best thing about teaching in this department is seeing the development that the students especially in the course of their four years,” Dr. Steven Thomas, dean of the performing art department, said. “You see a lot of progress in students but not a lot of polish, so when they get to their last year it is very rewarding to see where they are at. Even staying in touch with students after they graduate and where they end up and how successful they become; the whole process of them becoming successful adults is very rewarding.”

This theater season will entertain the audience with a portrait of an American icon, a bullied telekinetic teen misfit, a dysfunctional trailer park community, and an interesting take on a classic novel about imagination. There is a total of four theater performances.
The first production is “All the King’s Women”, directed by the Director of Performing Arts, Teresa Fallon. The comedy portrays the King of Rock ‘n Roll, Elvis Presley, in a fun, musical direction. The cast is compiled of 14 students.

“During the first read-through, everyone was listening in for the whole show and laughing at all the parts,” Simone Hanna, senior theatre arts major said. “It is a funny show with a couple of sad moments; I think it is going to be a great production.”

The Department of Visual and Performing Arts also has other events for students to enjoy. The Civic Band, University Band, Flute Ensemble and Jazz Orchestra all have concerts later in the semester scheduled.

Another aspect of the performing arts is the chorus and chamber singers.

“Students come from all over the University to sing in the chorus, not just musical theater majors; we have a very diverse group,” Thomas said. “Anyone is welcome to come to talk the classes.”

For more information of upcoming events, the Department of Visual and Performing Arts is located on Wilkes campus in the Dorothy Dickson Darte Center.

Nicole Zukowski
Nicole Zukowski, Life, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Nicole Zukowski is a junior Communication Studies major with concentrations in journalism, public relations and rhetoric. Nicole, a Dean’s List student, is also studying in three minors: History, Marketing, and Women’s and Gender Studies.

Nicole has been on the Beacon staff since her first semester at Wilkes. She has held various positions on The Beacon such as Assistant News Editor, News Editor, and now she is currently the Life, Arts and Entertainment Editor.

Apart from The Beacon, Nicole spends her time as Co-Editor of the Medium, the Department of Communication Studies newsletter and as Co-Office Manager for Zebra Communications, the student-run public relations agency on the Wilkes University campus and is a member of the Public Relations Society of America.