College cuisine: Glow in the Dark Cupcakes

College+cuisine%3A+Glow+in+the+Dark+Cupcakes+

Glow in the Dark Cupcake Frosting

It’s dark in the crowded room decorated with skeletons and spider webs. You wander over to the snack table and attempt to take a cookie and end up with your hand coated in frosting because your eyes haven’t adjusted to the darkness of the party yet. The days of going to a Halloween party and grabbing into the blackness for a sweet treat are over. These glow in the dark cupcakes are sure to stand out in the dark and have guests shrieking in delight this October.

The Basics:
Prep Time: 60 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes for cupcakes

Ingredients:
prepared and cooled cupcakes
7 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 cup vegetable shortening
1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
5 tablespoons tonic water (the secret ingredient)
mini chocolate chips morsels for “eyes”

Instructions:
1.  Prepare desired cupcakes and allow them to cool.
2.  To make the frosting, begin by adding shortening, vanilla, and 3 tablespoons tonic water into a large bowl.
3.  Beat on low speed and add confectioners’ sugar slowly until thoroughly mixed.
4.  Add remaining two tablespoons of tonic water as needed to bring frosting to piping consistency. If the
frosting is still too dry, add a splash of milk. Adding more tonic water will make the frosting bitter.
5.  Mix at high speed for about a minute to allow frosting to become light and fluffy and fill a gallon ziplock bag
with it. Cut off the tip of the bag and twist to make an easy, cheap piping bag.
6. Pipe white frosting on the cupcakes using a large round frosting tip. Add two mini chocolate chip morsels for
the ghost’s eyes to finish these glow in the dark ghost cupcakes.

Ashley Evert
Ashley Evert, Managing Editor
Ashley Evert is a senior Communications Studies major studying dual concentrations in journalism and public relations. She is also studying three minors: English, Integrative Media, and Women's and Gender Studies. Ashley has written a beauty column for The Beacon since her freshman year and moved her way from staff writer to L&A&E assistant editor to her current position as Managing Editor.
The Beacon has given her a chance to dabble in other types of writing such as an alternative sports column and college cuisine column.
Ashley hopes to use her organizational and interpersonal skills to recruit new members who will grow, strengthen and diversify The Beacon.