College Cuisine: Cracker Barrel’s Broccoli Cheddar Chicken

This quick casserole style dish can be prepared easily and thrown in the oven for an outrageously delicious dinner for 4. Double the recipe and have a few suitemates chip in for a Cracker Barrel feast without the price tag.  Optional but scrumptious sides for this include brown sugar glazed carrots and garlic mashed potatoes.

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 45 minutes

Ingredients

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts

1 can of Campbell’s Cheddar Cheese Soup

1 cup milk

1 ½ cups Ritz Crackers (one sleeve)

4 tbsp melted butter

8 oz of frozen (fresh is much better) broccoli

4 oz shredded cheddar cheese

Pinch of salt

Instructions

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

2. Prepare the cheese soup by mixing it with soup can full of milk. Set aside.

3. Place chicken breasts in a baking dish and season them with salt.  Pour ¾ of the soup over top of the chicken.

4. Wash and cut the broccoli into smaller florets. Add the broccoli on top of the chicken.

5. Melt the butter over low heat.

6. Crumble the Ritz crackers into the melted butter. Combine the crackers and butter in the pot, then sprinkle them on top of the chicken.

7. Add the remaining soup over the whole dish and bake for approx 45 minutes or until the chicken is tender.

8. Sprinkle cheddar cheese over top and throw it back in the oven for a few minutes until the cheese is melted.

9. Dig in!
Ashley Evert
Ashley Evert, Managing Editor
Ashley Evert is a senior Communications Studies major studying dual concentrations in journalism and public relations. She is also studying three minors: English, Integrative Media, and Women's and Gender Studies. Ashley has written a beauty column for The Beacon since her freshman year and moved her way from staff writer to L&A&E assistant editor to her current position as Managing Editor.
The Beacon has given her a chance to dabble in other types of writing such as an alternative sports column and college cuisine column.
Ashley hopes to use her organizational and interpersonal skills to recruit new members who will grow, strengthen and diversify The Beacon.