Humanities professor offers meditation sessions

A Wilkes professor who has studied with Buddhist monks is leading meditation every Monday to help students reduce stress.

Meditation sessions began Sept. 4 and will continue from 4:40 p.m. to 5:25 p.m. every Monday throughout the semester in the Kirby Salon (lobby).

Linda Paul, an associate humanities professor who leads the sessions, said she learned techniques from Buddhist monks to quiet the mind and see more clearly. She had been studying on her own and decided she wanted to study with professionals.

“On my sabbatical I lived and practiced with the monastics in Thich Nhat Hanh’s community for four months,” Paul said. “For me, it was like ‘Buddhist Boot Camp.’ It was really hard, but an amazing experience.”

With commitment, this mindful meditation will help students suffer less in terms of anxiety and distress by paying more attention to their bodies, Paul said. Students will be able to focus on individual tasks better and simply enjoy their lives more.

Students can attend sessions at any time through the semester with no commitment. Interested students should email Paul ([email protected]) for a description of the meditation practices before attending.

Ashley Evert
Ashley Evert, Managing Editor
Ashley Evert is a senior Communications Studies major studying dual concentrations in journalism and public relations. She is also studying three minors: English, Integrative Media, and Women's and Gender Studies. Ashley has written a beauty column for The Beacon since her freshman year and moved her way from staff writer to L&A&E assistant editor to her current position as Managing Editor.
The Beacon has given her a chance to dabble in other types of writing such as an alternative sports column and college cuisine column.
Ashley hopes to use her organizational and interpersonal skills to recruit new members who will grow, strengthen and diversify The Beacon.