SOUP-ER bowl fundraiser, Interfaith helps local foodbank

While many are preoccupied with their everyday lives, some may forget to think about the people who are most in need of their help and generosity. According to local food shelters, some can really use help.
Everyone at Wilkes has the opportunity to give a little something of their own to those who are less fortunate than we are. In honor of next Sunday’s big game, the Interfaith Office is and will continue to hold a “SOUP-ER” Bowl event of its own, which will then be donated to the Westside Area Food Bank in Kingston.
The driving force behind this event is to collect cans of soup for Westside Area Food Bank in Kingston, who is in desperate need of cans of soup to give out to families to feed to help out during the cold weather.
The Westside Area Food Bank is supported by local churches, such as St. Ignatius, whose food goes to this bank, and Church of Christ Uniting, where the food bank is housed. Church of Christ Uniting is open Tuesday and Friday 10 to 11 a.m. for pick-up. These parishes are all involved in the effort and donation of food to this particular food bank.
“The idea came out of the Diocese of Scranton’s social concerns meeting, where several members of St. Ignatius were talking about how they were informed by the church that runs this food bank that Westside was running low on soup,” Interfaith Coordinator Caitlin Czeh said. “Another group was also talking about an event that they did so I thought it’d be cool to bring it here.”
Essentially, it was a shared idea.
Czeh said she started announcing the idea on Sunday at the Sunday service event, and  as of Feb. 1 she’s gotten one can. She’s hoping that more people will reach out and donate more cans this Sunday and at the Sunday events, and also during the Student Development event.
This Super Bowl Game Watch event hosted by Student Development was at 7 p.m.   on Sunday, Feb. 3 in the Ballroom.
“It will have free pizza, wings and snacks for people to enjoy during the game,” graduate assistant Jaimie Osborn said. “There will also be prizes for some activities that will take place that night one being whoever brings the most can goods to donate to the SOUP-ER bowl.”
The collection for the “SOUP-ER” Bowl event will be going on through Tuesday, Feb. 5, and a delivery will probably be made on Wednesday, Feb. 6. Cans of soup can be dropped off at the Interfaith Office, room 204 in the Henry Student Center.
Take a few minutes to gather up some cans of soup from your pantry, and drop by the Interfaith Office to make your donation and show some support.
Contact Caitlin Czeh at [email protected] or give her a call at 570-408-5904.

Alyssa Stencavage
Alyssa Stencavage, L&A&E Editor
Alyssa Stencavage is a junior communications studies major at Wilkes University with concentrations in broadcast media and public relations, as well as a minor in marketing. She began her time at The Beacon as a freshman in 2011, when she worked as a staff writer and became the assistant life editor at the start of her sophomore year. She currently is campus life editor. During her sophomore year, she participated in an independent study with the Times Leader, and was also involved with an account team on the Zebra Communication Board during her junior year. She also works with the Wilkes television station, Wilkes Now. Before coming to Wilkes, she wrote for her high school newspaper, while also playing volleyball and running track. Outside of school, Alyssa works as a cashier at a local grocery store and is the oldest of three children. She enjoys listening to music, taking walks and spending time with family and friends. Alyssa believes her experience with The Beacon has improved her as a writer and will help her achieve success beyond her years at Wilkes. In the future, she would like to be an anchor at a local television station.