Get Swabbed

Student services are giving students the chance to save a life this year by holding a bone marrow drive.

The event is being hosted by Alicia Bond and Ann Marie Carey in the first floor of the Henry Student Center on Oct. 5th from 10 to 7 pm. Students will have the chance to register as donors and help save someone who has been affected by any type of blood cancer.

“Alicia and I are both really excited for the event and hope we get a huge turnout of students, faculty, staff, community members to come and “Get Swabbed” and potentially save a life,” Carey said.

Students who want more information should visit the DKMS website. Students who are interested in donating should be in good health and pass all the rules and regulations that the DKMS has set forward.

“There are very few times in your life when you are able to provide a gift to so many, just by sharing a small piece of yourself,” Bond said.

On the day of the even students will be required to fill out a health questionnaire form and swabbed the inside of their cheek. The process should not take any longer then fifteen minutes.

Coordinators for the event are still looking for student volunteers to help out at the event. If interested, contact Carey at [email protected]. Students who volunteer can do two or more hour shifts and will receive a free T-shirt for volunteering.

Shawn Carey, Contributing Writer