Programming Board creates new semiformal dance

For students worried about having to wait until spring fling for another campus dance, programming board is significantly reducing the wait by creating a new event this year.

The snow ball is PB’s new winter semi-formal dance to be held at Bentley’s of NEPA on Friday, Dec. 2 from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. Jessica Short, president of PB, said the event offers students a chance to  dress up and get into the holiday spirit a little early.

Short, elementary education junior who is overseeing the organization of the event, said PB hoped to make the event similar to the popular student government dances, the homecoming dance and spring fling, but added in a few elements to make the event stand out.

“Everybody’s excited for it,” Short said. “They like that it’s going to be a little bit different, like the new location.”

Another aspect that is different is the benefit of the event, since all ticket proceeds are going toward Toys for Tots. Also, PB is offering a green screen that students have the option to be photographed in front of with various backgrounds and props. Short said this is a variation on the usual photobooth at many dances.

“We want to have something a little different,” Short said. “Same concept, because everyone loves having their picture taken.”

John Sweeney, the small events chair on PB, said he’s received positive feedback on the idea of a winter dance.

“It’s definitely something there’s an interest in and that we’ve never had before, so people are excited to see a student-run organization putting on something like this,” Sweeney said.

Sweeney, accounting and business administration junior, said PB decided to hold the event in response to student feedback on the empty period between the homecoming dance and spring fling.

“After homecoming this year there was a lot of student feedback I heard that, ‘it’s a shame that there’s nothing again until spring fling, that’s such a long time away,’” Sweeney said.

Sweeney looked at other schools that held some type of winter dance and wondered if Wilkes could hold a similar event. He said it brings students something new to do.

PB has already exceeded the goal of 200 attendees, which was made possible through the use of social media and signage in the Henry Student Center to promote the dance.

Sweeney said they chose Bentley’s of NEPA as a venue over Ramada, Genetti’s and Woodlands because it offered the best pricing for the date of the event for it’s size.

“It was tough to choose a venue because there are a lot of options,” Sweeney said. “But we wanted someplace that was big enough to accommodate as many students that wanted to attend, but that was also affordable.”

He said the elegant location has other perks, as it is owned by a Wilkes alum, Jim Limongelli. This Wilkes connection led to some reduced rates for PB.

Another Wilkes connection is the DJ choice. Anthony Griseto, an entrepreneurship senior at Wilkes who played at fall fest will be DJing the event.

Students will dine on chicken marsala, roast round top beef, red pepper risotto or tilapia. Sweeney said these meals cost between 22 and 25 dollars, despite the relatively inexpensive ticket cost of 5 dollars.

Sweeney said the attendance rate and positive feedback indicates this year’s snow ball dance will not be the last.

“I think at this point we can safely call this event a success, so I don’t see why it wouldn’t continue into the future,” Sweeney said.

Kirstin Cook, Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief Kirstin Cook is a senior Communication Studies major at Wilkes University concentrating in journalism, broadcast journalism and rhetoric. This is her second year as editor-in-chief of The Beacon. Kirstin has a passion for news, and her dream is to work as a television news reporter. Her internship at WBRE really sold her on the broadcast industry, because she loved every second of being in the fast-paced environment. She especially loves writing and video editing. Kirstin is also a reporter for the student-run, live news program Wilkes Now, and is in her fourth year of working with the Wilkes TV station. She also writes for Diamond City and Electric City, works as a Telecommunications Counselor for the Wilkes admissions department and runs cross country. She loves hiking, and plans to complete the Appalachian Trail after graduation while blogging about the experience. Kirstin is from Maine, and will always consider it her home. She has five younger siblings and a cat named Nadia, and she misses them all while at school.