Celebrating Rosh Hashanah around campus

Rosh Hashanah, also known as the Jewish New Year, will occur on September 28th through 30th. This Hebrew holiday is not widely observed on campus, but for those students of Jewish decent, there are still ways to celebrate and keep tradition.

Common traditions that are easy to observe on campus that occur during Rosh Hosanna include apples dipped in honey, a traditional snack during  Neidorf says making a resolution for the new year is also a tradition such as . Finally, the phrase, “L’shanah tovah!” is used to greet others during the holiday to extend wishes of a good year.

“Rosh Hashanah is a time of year, similar to the American New Year, where we look back at the past and make resolutions to better ourselves for the upcoming year,” says Donna Neidorf, a Jewish member from the Wilkes-Barre community.

According to Campus Interfaith Coordinator Caitlin Czeh, there are currently no clubs on campus for Jewish students, but she says that any student who is interested in starting a club for Jewish students should contact her. She also says that any student who wants more information on where to celebrate Rosh Hashanah can contact her and she will get them in touch with a local Rabbi.

Every year, Rabbi Larry Kaplan of Temple Israel and Rabbi Roger Lerner of B’nai B’rith Synagogue extend open invitations to students who would like to celebrate Rosh Hashanah and for prayer and services.  Temple Israel is located on 236 S. River St.  And B’nai B’rith is located in Kingston. Bais Menachem, also located on South River Street offers an invitation to students to come to pray and celebrate with the congregation.  Another nearby option for students of Jewish faith who  want to learn more about the holiday and other Jewish traditions is the Jewish Community Center of Wyoming Valley located on 60 S. River St., offers courses in basic Judaism on Sunday evenings from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.

Laura Preby, Photography Editor
Photo Editor Laura Preby, photo editor and copy editor of the Beacon, is a junior Communication Studies major at Wilkes.  She has concentrations in public relations/organizational communication, broadcast media, and journalism.  She is a graduate of Pittston Area High School , class of ’10. In addition to the Beacon, she is involved in many co-curriculars including WCLH, the student-run radio station on campus and Zebra Communications, the student-run PR firm. She loves doing photography unrelated to the Beacon, and has done promotional photography for places like Gentlemen’s Club 10.  She also works part-time as a waitress at Denny’s in Wilkes-Barre. In her free time, Laura likes to cook, read her favorite blogs, and watch plenty of Star Trek.