I am a 5th year Pharmacy major, or P3, from Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania. I attended Central Columbia High School and graduated in 2008.
1. How long have you been playing golf?
I have been playing golf for about ten years now primarily on a casual basis. I got more into it when I played for my high school team my junior and senior year.
2. What made you want to join the Wilkes golf team?
I decided to join the Wilkes team last spring when a friend of mine, Darren Mensch, said they were short a couple guys on the team and could use some help. I wasn’t about to pass up on free golf either.
3. Can you explain the difference in playing on a team?
Golf is really an individual sport and you are usually only concerned about your own score. However, when playing as part of a team it adds a little excitement because your play/score affects the outcome of the team.
4. How has your play improved over recent years?
Fortunately, I have been able to get a lot more golf in than usual over the past few summers and I feel like I’m hitting the ball as well as I ever have.
5. What is one memory you will never forget while you were golfing?
I’d like to say that it was a hole-in-one, but I haven’t been able to accomplish that yet.
6. Who are your favorite golfers and the one that inspires you?
My favorite golfer, hands down is Tiger. He has changed the game of golf during his era, and in my opinion is the greatest of all time.
7. Do you have a ‘pre-golfing’ ritual?
I don’t have a set pre-golf ritual. I just got out there and hope for the best.
8. What are some of the nicest courses you’ve played on?
I went on a trip with a group of friends to Myrtle Beach this summer and got to play some really nice courses. My favorite would have to be Rivers Edge. I will say that our home course, Huntsville is really nice and is definitely near the top.
9. What made you decide to pick your major?
I’m big on math and science, and pharmacy seemed like a good career choice to pursue.
10. What do you want to do with your major in the future?
I haven’t decided what field of pharmacy I would like to get into. Whether it be hospital, retail, academia, or industry, I will get a lot of experience on rotations next year and decide which path to pursue.
11. What do you enjoy doing when you are not golfing?
I play a lot of sports and enjoy staying active. I also really enjoy hunting, fishing, and the outdoors and just hanging out with friends.
12. Does your family golf as well?
My older brother is the only one else in my family who golfs, but I’ve tried to get my parents into golf as well.
13. For those who don’t understand the game, can you explain how golf scores differently from being on a team?
In team golf you have five people who play a round, and can count towards your team score. From those 5 scores you take the 4 lowest and add them up. That gives you your cumulative team score.
14. Would you prefer power or accuracy and why?
I’d say power. Hitting a big tee shot is a lot more fun to watch then hitting an accurate one. Preferably it’d be a combination of both, but you can’t always get what you want.
15. What is your ‘lucky charm’ when it comes to golf?
I don’t really have a lucky charm that I take with me. Maybe I should find one.
16. Any favorite attire to golf in?
Slacks and golf polo, standard.