Wilkes honors major donor; unveils plans for new media center

Gabby Glinski

Wilkes University President Patrick Leahy thanks Clayton and Theresa Karambelas for their continued financial support to Wilkes University.

Earlier this month, Wilkes University unveiled plans for the Clayton and Theresa Karambelas Media Center, which will house its communication studies program.

The center, which was announced at the University’s Founders Gala 2016 at the Westmoreland Club, honors the Karambelases for giving Wilkes one of the largest gifts in its history. The new center at 141 S. Main St., adjacent to the campus Gateway, will further enhance Wilkes’ presence on Wilkes-Barre’s South Main Street.

Clayton and Theresa Karambelas, who are residents of Kingston, Pa., also were presented with the University’s Presidents Medal at the event. The medal is presented to an individual whose personal and professional lives reflect the highest aspirations of Wilkes University. University President Patrick F. Leahy said that the new media center reflects the couple’s long-time commitment to Wilkes students.

“Wilkes has few friends more loyal than Clayton and Theresa Karambelas,” Leahy said. “Their support over the years has provided additions to campus enjoyed by generations of students. With the Karambelas Media Center, they are ensuring that students who participate in classes and in some of our most popular co-curricular activities will have an outstanding educational experience and be well-prepared to enter the job market.”

The new 17,726-square- foot center will bring the communication studies departments’ co-curricular activities under one roof. These include WCLH Radio, television studios, The Beacon student newspaper, the student-run public relations agency Zebra Communications and the speech and debate team. The facility will include separate offices and work rooms for the student organizations, as well as state-of- the-art television and radio studios, audio room, video editing room, faculty offices and classrooms.